This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

I come to you today writing about one of the most consuming problems college-aged kids face: fear. Fear of trying something new, of speaking up, of making a change, of staying the same, overall anxiety… the list goes on. The key to growing into the best version of oneself is conquering that — whatever it may look like. From personal experience, I can say that you will not see a difference in your routine, and ultimately yourself, if you don’t establish it. This fundamental age is filled with self-discovery, though we really never stop growing. Once you allow yourself to fill up the space you deserve, you will be unstoppable.

Usually, when people seek change, we hear the same saying over and over again: “step out of your comfort zone”. It sounds futile. But the world behind that one decision is so much wider than we could even begin to imagine. The truth is, comfort zones are not about staying within the barriers of familiarity. They’re all about fear. 

Fear, in my humble opinion, is one of the strongest and suckiest things we can face on a day-to-day basis. Think about it. Anxiety is not a tangible thing; it’s in our minds. Our thoughts have enough power to hold us back and in jumbles of stress. (You are not alone!) The truth is, no one will ever obtain a perfect, worry-free, problem-free life. We’re human. Going back to my previous statement, the solution to change is initiating it. This is obviously easier said than done. But by taking baby steps, you are showing up for yourself. Doing what YOU want to do. FOR YOU! See a club that interests you? Put your name down on the email list. Want to start a new sport? Go watch practice and introduce yourself. Want to change your coffee order? Go with caramel instead of french vanilla. It can be as little or as big as you deem necessary. But one can not further develop their identity without discomfort.

Most people hold themselves back because they want to stay in their limited bubble. But that gets boring. Even if with a head full of doubt*, hold it high. Embracing difficulty is part of life. Just like we have sadness to appreciate the happy moments, we have to face our fears in exchange for new and broadened experiences. No one has this control but you. To be self-aware enough to know when you need change is one thing. But to go after it is another.

A friend once told me that most people controlled by fear feel that their next step is going to be out into the open air. My advice is to take the step or else you’ll just keep floating.

*Head Full of Doubt by the Avett Brothers (Go listen)

Anna Spinale

Providence '25

Anna, Senior Editor of PC's Her Campus, is a junior at Providence College and an English/Creative Writing major with a minor in French, currently studying abroad in Paris for the fall semester. She is on the women's club rugby team and enjoys running, reading, and spending time with her family, friends, and dogs. Spinale plans to pursue a career as a writer.