The Stages of Attending Spin Classes, as Told by Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

I recently took a spin class with the girls on my floor, and while it was one of the best things ever, it was terrifying. We had a lovely instructor, Gabby, who had us sweating from start to finish, and had a killer playlist. Our emotions, of course, went through an absolute roller coaster, so hopefully this article can put them into some perspective!

Stage One: Excitement

Also known as the “hype” stage, you’re all dressed and ready to work off yesterday’s 1 am Insomnia Cookie (Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Deluxe y’all.. I’m telling you. Life changing), and hopefully you’ve got some friends in tow so you don’t have to suffer alone. You go into the spin room, grab your bike, and the gears start adjusting into place- you’re absolutely thriving.

Stage Two: Denial

Just past the excitement phase, you’re all “No, I”m so fine, everything’s fine”. But really, your legs are on fire, and you can’t breathe. Only 40 more minutes!

Stage Three: Exhaustion

You’re even more exhausted, and you kind of could go for Ben and Jerry’s right about now. (Fun fact- I had my first Ben and Jerry’s ice cream here at Providence). You know you’ve gotta push through but you really, really don’t want to. Also, if someone could explain how that girl in front of you looks like she has never-ending energy? Half impressed, half wishing you could do that, too.

Stage Four: Annoyance

You’ve been questioning humanity for a decent amount of time, and you’re ready to die. You don’t know why you let your friends drag you here, and you have zero desire to do it again. Similar feelings when you come from Civ Lecture, where there’s milliseconds left in the class, and your professor says “Hold on… one more thing”.

Stage Five: Relief

Congratulations, you’ve hopped off your bike, started stretching, and you feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the world. And guess what…you’ve already signed up for next week’s class.

Title Photo Courtesy: Pop Design

PC 2021, Miss RI High School America 2015, 1st RU Miss RI Teen USA 2018
Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.