This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

During childhood, many of us read and watched Winnie the Pooh for fun, comfort, and good laughs. What many don’t realize, or forget, is that Winnie the Pooh gives good advice for people of all ages. In college specifically, where pick-me-ups, laughs, and confidence boosts are always needed, his quirky, unique quotes can be treasured. Here are a few memorable quotes from our friend in the Hundred Acre Woods.

1. For the moments of happiness.

• “There are so many things that can make you happy. Don’t focus too much on things that make you sad.”
  • “We didn’t realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun.”
  • “Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you’ve got.” 

2. For our friendships.

• “Some people care too much, I think it’s called love.”
  • “Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more…to give way to the happiness of the person you love.”
  • “A day without a friend is a like a pot without a single drop of honey left inside.”

3. For expanding our comfort zones.

• “You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

4. For taking a moment to slow down.

• “Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”
  • “Let’s begin by taking a smallish nap or two.”

5. For reflecting on perspectives.

• “When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet at last, “what’s the first thing you say to yourself?” 

“What’s for breakfast?” said Pooh. “What do you say Piglet?” ”I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?” said Piglet. Pooh nodded thoughtfully. “It’s the same thing,” he said.

• “Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them.

6. For that extra boost of confidence.

• “The things that make me different are the things that make me.”
  • “You are braver that you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

This little guy sure does know how to lift my spirits and give me confidence. I hope Winnie the Pooh filled your day with a little extra happiness and love too.

Hello! I am an Elementary Education major at the University of Portland. I love writing, the outdoors, swimming, reading, drinking tea, and watching movies. I am a firm believer that to live a successful life you must do what makes you happy. :)