When All Your Friends Have Significant Others…Except You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It feels lonely when all your girlfriends would rather hang out with their significant others instead of you. There is nothing wrong with them wanting to spend time together.  After all, it isn’t any of your business, they would say.  And it’s true, it isn’t up to you who anyone else chooses to hang out with. But it can still feel like you’re being left behind when they all have this special someone that you lack.

Your friend’s time to have that special relationship is now.  However, just because your time hasn’t come yet, doesn’t mean that it won’t ever come.  Believe me, I know!  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had the thought circulating in my head.  You know, the one that says, “You’re going to be alone forever, so you might as well get used to it”?  Hey, you don’t have to!

It just isn’t the right time for you. Maybe you need to focus on other things right now, like school or job searching.  Perhaps you need to work on self-care before you’re ready to have that relationship. Concentrate on making yourself the best version possible. There is nothing wrong with you. You are a woman destined for great things. Have hope in your future and that amazing things will happen to you because they will if you hold onto what matters (friends, school, faith, family, etc.) and let that be your driving force behind your college career. 

This isn’t the 1950’s when women went to college to “catch a man”.  People may act like it still is and ask you “Are you dating anyone?” but when you say no, they say “Oh that’s okay, Sweetie”.  Yeah, you know what? It is! You’re taking this time in your life to be selfish and solely focus on you.  You’re never going to get this opportunity again where you’re unburdened with working fulltime and/or being in charge of your family. 

You’re in the place you’re meant to be, right here, right now.  Good things are going to happen, and if finding that relationship takes longer than it does for others, that’s alright, because that person will be worth it.

I love University of Portland!