West Coast Best Coast Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Spring break starts Saturday March fifth and lasts a week until Sunday the 13th. With two weeks until break begins, it’s the perfect time to start planning your adventures. If you’re planning too late, there’s always Easter break!

Flying to an exotic spring break destination, or home to your family may not be in your bank account’s best interest, so I researched some local destinations accessible via car or by only public transportation. Whether you’re traveling alone, with your significant other, family, or friends, these destinations are all worth exploring. I also recommend bringing your student ID, as many museums and sites offer student prices.

1. Seattle, Washington

The bolt bus to Seattle leaves from downtown Portland and costs around $15 for a one-way ride, although sometimes there are $1 deals. Once you’re there, it’s relatively easy to get around via public transportation and walking, if necessary. Besides the obvious (but expensive) choices of the Space Needle and the Seattle Great Wheel, there’s plenty to do in Seattle!

Pike Place Market– arguably one of the more well-known attractions in Seattle, but not overrated! This is a great place to stop by for some food, random shop browsing and exploring the maze of levels and staircases at this awesome sight by the Seattle downtown waterfront.

Fremont Troll sculpture– This giant sculpture was constructed from concrete in 1990 and lives under the bridge in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. Honestly, this site is a little random but it’s pretty cool to visit and explore.

Experience Music Project Museum- located in an astounding aluminum and steel-paneled building designed by Frank Gehry, it is definitely worth the visit. Tickets will set you back $22, but the experience will be much more meaningful than spending twice that amount going up in the Space Needle.

2. Vancouver B.C., Canada

The bolt bus can take you to Vancouver for around $35, which is a great deal. It’s a bit of a drive, but the exchange rate favors the dollar, which makes it a great destination for Americans.

UBC’s Vancouver campus is beautiful. Try the pizza, walk around, and blend in! While you’re there, check out the incredible Museum of Anthropology– the totem poles are really cool, and you’ll definitely learn about some new cultures looking at their artwork exhibits. If you’re feeling up to it, brave the many stairs down to Wreck Beach below. It’s a great spot to watch the sunset, although beware; it’s also legally a nude beach!

Vancouver Art Gallery- the current exhibit is called “Mash up: The Birth of Modern Culture.” Currently featuring everything from Pablo Picasso to Andy Warhol and Keith Haring, this is a must see.  

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge– yes, yes, you’ve seen the photos! It’s a walkable bridge over a large canyon. This one definitely requires a car to get to, but when you’re there be sure to hike around on the surrounding trails, the forest is quite pleasant and relaxing.

Nightlife– Most of us can legally drink in Canada, so be safe, obviously, but enjoy the bars! Most places are pretty strict about the drinking age, so you’ll need to show two forms of ID, and drinks may be pricey, but it’s a great way to get out with some friends.

3. San Francisco

I’ve done this one myself using just public transportation! Catch a ride via car, shuttle or max to the Portland airport, and once you land in San Francisco, it’s easy to get around via Bart and bus. Hotels can be incredibly expensive, so check out the hostels or Airbnb options. This city is an international hotspot, so there are always large groups of tourists. Challenge yourself to see a side of the city that’s not as well known! If you’re taking public transportation, I recommend buying a Muni visitor pass for the duration of your trip, which allows you access to all buses, metro, cable cars and street cars, for a fixed price.

City Lights Booksellers, Jack Kerouac Alley– Personally, I love books! This area is full of character, and the alley behind the bookstore has murals and poetry embedded in the walkway. Nearby, grab some delicious pizza at a restaurant in Little Italy, and look out for the Transamerica tower disappearing into the fog.

Exploratorium– embrace your inner child at this interactive museum’s new location on the waterfront.

Cable Cars and Cable Car Museum– transport yourself around the city using the historic cable car system. Skip the huge winding lines at the base of the hill by walking up a few blocks on the route and then hopping onto the side of the cable car at one of the stops. At the museum, you can witness the giant cables running through the spinning room and learn about how these iconic cable cars actually work.

Golden Gate Bridge– the quintessential San Francisco experience, you can’t really miss this one! The San Francisco Bay Trail makes for an enjoyable walk, and is usually shock-full of dog walkers. Although it’s a rather long walk from the city to the bridge, so try taking a bus one way.

The Mission District and Clarion Alley– traveling to this area will raise your awareness of the social shifts and tensions present in the city, as rents increase and areas become more gentrified. Check out the many murals and graffiti artwork along the walls, garages and fences of Clarion Alley- it’s the most colorful place in the city.

This is definitely one of my favorite cities and the one I’m most familiar with, so I won’t continue on for ages, but a few other places to check out the Marina district, the Palace of Fine Arts, Coit Tower, Yerba Buena Gardens, Golden Gate Park, Sutro Baths and Cliff House.

4. Mt. Hood

Skiing, snowboarding, sledding, tubing, hooray!

Shuttles leave from Sandy for just a few dollars and take you up to Timberline Lodge. Lift passes at Timberline cost from $27 (a great deal for 5 hours of night skiing!) to $72. Skis and snowboards can be rented at the lodge, but will be cheaper if you rent from somewhere in Sandy or Government Camp. Complete ski and snowboard rentals tend to be around $30. Alternatively, you can fight for a chance to rent from the Mountain Shop here in Portland, which offers 3-day rentals for $25. Can you say DEALS?!

Mt Hood Meadows is a little under a two hour drive, or you can pay $25 for a round trip with their Park n Ride program that leaves from Portland. Lift passes here go from $56 to $76 dollars depending on the hours you want to ski or snowboard. They also offer a $79 deal for a lift pass AND bus ride, which is rather convenient.

5. Portland Staycation

If you’ll be in Portland for the entirety of spring break, don’t worry! As a Portland native, I’ve spent weeks exploring the city. Check out Cindy Wuerz’s latest blog post “Spring Break Portland Style.”