burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Stages of a Bad Haircut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Getting a haircut is pretty big commitment especially if you’re planning on completely changing your look. I recently got my haircut, and I cried the whole time. They weren’t tears of joy. I was crying because it was a drastic cut that I totally was not planning on getting and the hairdresser cut my hair before I could even really think about it. I was so upset that I even called one my best friends right after and told her I was headed straight to Target to buy anything that would make my hair grow faster and that I was going to start wearing a lot of hats. The new haircut is growing on me (no pun intended) but at the beginning I was not a happy camper. We have all had our fair share of bad haircuts and here’s what we all have gone through:

1. Pre-Cut

You are so done with your current hair and you think you have a great idea for how you should change up your look. You have made an entire Pinterest board dedicated to the cut and you’re convinced this new look will completely change your life. If I get a haircut like Taylor Swift, then I’m pretty much going to become Taylor Swift, minus the voice, height, and clothes. You confidently walk into the hair salon just like Elle Woods walked into Harvard. 

2. During the Cut

You tell the hairdresser what you want or think you want.  Then all of sudden, you look down and see your hair just all over the ground. You start getting nervous and contemplating everything. Should I really have gotten bangs? Is this haircut going to make my face look weird? Will I still be able to put it in a ponytail? Why did I think a Pinterest haircut would work out? It’s called “Pinterest Fails” not “Pinterest Successes”! But the hairdresser just keeps snipping away and it’s too late to turn back.

3. The Reveal

The hairdresser turns your chair around and you get a first look at your new do. You look as if you have seen a ghost and you immediately start thinking whether or not you could rock a hat everyday or if you should buy some of Kylie Jenner’s hair extensions. You lie and say you love it and that it’s a great change.  

4. Post Cut

You rush home and try to fix your hair for hours. In the end, you figure out how to style it in a way that you actually like and realize it could have been a lot worse. Plus, it’s just hair and it will grow back! The key is to not dwell on it. 

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.