This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Black Friday is a deal finder’s favorite day of the year. Even though it is just one day, it requires quite a bit of preparation. You don’t just wake up the Friday after Thanksgiving and say “hey let’s go Black Friday shopping.” No, if you want to do Black Friday right, then you have to be prepared. Here’s your guide to Operation: Black Friday.

• Make a list. Check it twice.

Write down everything you think you need/want to get. Then after that, let’s take another look and cross off what you really don’t need to be spending money on. Christmas gifts for the fam? Keep on the list. A new swim suit? Cross that off, it’s winter.  

• Scope out the deals.

Target and Old Navy are always  musts on my list of stores for Black Friday. Can you say $5 movies and sweaters galore?! Before heading out, search around for the Black Friday ads and deals that stores are offering. There’s no point of wasting your time going to a store that doesn’t have great deals. Figure out if it’s really a deal. Fuzzy socks for $2? Yes.  Booties for $45 that are normally $100? Of course!  A pair of pj pants for $25? Eh, probably not.

• Remember: Just because it’s a deal, doesn’t mean you should buy it.

Yes, that winter coat is adorable and 75% off, but you live in Florida. You know what you do? You put that winter coat right back on the rack and walk away.

• Make a plan of attack.

What stores will be making the cut? It’s important to plan out your trip so you can be as efficient as possible. One sure way to break the bank during Black Friday shopping is wandering into stores aimlessly.

• Get ready.

Reusable bags? Check. Comfy footwear? Check. Athletic attire? Check. Wallet? Check. Water Bottle and Snacks? Check. Shopping list? Check.

•  Make sure you are spending more time with your family and friends than at the stores!

While bargain hunting is always fun, remember that the real reason for the holiday season is to spend time with family and people close to you. Enjoy the time you have with them and make some memories!

Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.