This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Name: Monique Martin

Year/Major: Junior, Nursing 

Hometown: Cameron Park, California

So, you are an RA. How do you like the experience so far?

I am still fresh off the grill! But so far, being an RA [in Fields] has really changed my role on campus, and given me the opportunity to participate in the dynamic relationships between students and their peers, RA’s and their residents, faculty and students, faculty and their coworkers, and so on. It’s given me a “behind the scenes” peek of Residence Life, and the opportunity to partake in the forming of my fellow Pilots in a holistic way.

That is incredible! What are you most excited about as an RA?

I’m really looking forward to our hall’s retreat this semester. We’ve got some incredibly intelligent, empowered women in our hall this year who also happen to love laughing and having fun! I think it’ll be a great weekend for bonding and showcasing some of those personalities and talents, and coming back re-energized for the larger campus community.

Sounds like you have an exciting year ahead of you. I heard you spent the last 6 months studying abroad in Australia! How exciting?! What was your favorite memory?

Australia was unreal—I’ve had such a hard time articulating even the geography, let alone the experiences and the people. One of my favorite memories was over Easter weekend when we went camping in a town called Esperance. One night, after two kangaroos had eaten all of my muesli out of my neglected backpack, a group of us climbed up a small mountain around midnight. There was a full moon, overlooking the ocean. It was one of those [surreal] moments when you realize you’re actually experiencing all those adventures you used to “play pretend” about.

Wow, what an incredibly memory. Did you find any cultural differences that intrigued you?

I was able to take classes about Australian history and Aboriginal people. The content of the classes, more or less, followed the same short timeline of Australia, but conflicted on multiple accounts of the “monumental” historical events. As with many European conquests, establishing a colonized land “Down Unda” came with great compromise to the integrity of native peoples. The lingering effects of that disrespect and displacement of Aboriginal culture are still so incredibly prevalent in Australian society. Camping with the Morgan family, an Aboriginal family, in Broome was like taking an intensive summer course in one week. There is so much knowledge to be shared on a two-way street; this is a realization I feel non-Aboriginal Australians are coming to and making changes to capitalize on day-by-day.

What did you learn as your lived abroad?

This biggest lesson I learned was to always say “yes.” For example: Do you want to go camping this weekend in Lancelin? “Yes.” Do you want to take a bus 10.5 hours away for Easter and figure out accommodation when we get there? “Yes.” Want to try kangaroo, crocodile, or sea turtle? “Yes.” Want a 50 cent ice cream cone for the fourth time this week? “Yes.” How about abandoning the word “No” when you’re abroad, and fully immersing yourself in the culture and opportunities reaps absolutely ineffable opportunities? “Yes.” 

What a great learning experience. So when you aren’t traveling the world or studying, what are your favorite things to do?

I love being outdoors. Mountaineering, camping, kayaking, biking, shooting my bow, or having a backyard bonfire—these are a few of my favorite things! 

I am University of Portland student pursuing a degree in Operations and Technology Management. I enjoy working out, being outside (hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, etc.) and shopping. I am from southern California and love collecting turtle-related trinkets.