It’s Here: The Her Campus Guide to College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Girls, IT’S HERE! The Her Campus Guide to College Life is here!

We are so proud of our national chapter for taking the time to take everything they’ve learned over the years and compile it into a 290 page life guide. Seriously. This guide covers everything from surviving your first day of freshman year to staying safe, healthy and happy.

Here’s a sneak peek at some of our favorite tips from the book. 

Staying Safe

• Keep flamable objects, such as class notes, away from open flames when cooking. (#guilty)
  • Store campus safety numbers in your phone. You never know when they’ll come in handy!
  • If you choose to drink at parties, don’t drink from mysterious punch bowls.

Staying Healthy on Campus

• No more excuses: With so many workout optios available on campus, stop telling yourself you’ll get to the gym tomorrow. Today is the day, so make it happen!
  • Maintaining a healthy lifestyle means making good diet and exercise a habit!
  • Taking care of your physical health with proper diet, nutrition and exercise can make a huge difference in your mental health, too!

Developing Smart and Successful Relationships

• Your RA is the ultimate resource for all things dorm life, plus a great person to turn to if you’re feeling homesick or dealing with roommate issues.
  • Dormcest can be tempting, given proximity and convenience, but remember that a romantic interaction today could make for an awkward run-in tomorrow.

Be sure to pick up The Her Campus Guide to College Life: How to Manage Relationships, Stay Safe and Healthy, Handle Stress and Have the Best Years of Your Life on the Her Campus website.

Hanna attends the University of Portland and is studying Marketing with a minor in Communication Studies. Getting lost, adventuring in the Pearl on a cloudy afternoon and eventually ending up in a local coffee shop are some of Hanna’s greatest pleasures in life. Hanna hopes to pursue a career in public relations upon graduation and plans to adopt the “City of Roses” as her new home. She is an avid writer and loves spending time with her favorite American authors, Ernest Hemingway and Kurt Vonnegut, with a good cup of coffee and a cozy blanket. Hanna is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus Portland.