How to Kill It As a Single College Girl on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Halloween, like many other holidays, is full of subtle reminders to single people that they’re in fact very single. From the couple Halloween costumes to not having anyone to cuddle with as you binge-watch American Horror Story, it’s easy to feel sad about your single status. These are my five ways to overcome this and make Halloween a single girl haven!

1.Baking

This one’s my personal go-to coping mechanisms whenever I’m feeling a little down. But, it’s even more perfect this time of year… just think of all the pumpkin spice treats you’ve been waiting all year to make. Not only do you get to make something new, but offering a yummy dessert’s always a good icebreaker to talk to that boy you’ve had your eyes on.

2.Volunteer

There are so many fundraisers and community events this time of year, from pumpkin patches to trick or treat streets. It just takes a simple Google search or a visit to the Monroe Center at UP and you’re on your way to not only feeling less lonely but also having a great opportunity to help others.

3.Embrace the freedom to dress up as whatever you want

While couple costumes can be cute they always involve compromise and this weird social pressure to be the ‘best’ couple at the party. Good news for us single girls, we don’t have to worry about arguing with a boy over what to dress up as. We have total freedom to get as creative as possible with no one or any expectations getting in our way.

4.Go to whatever party you want with whoever you want

​With all the parties going on during Halloween odds are you and your significant won’t 100% agree on what parties to go to. However, they’re essential to your look so you have to stick together all night. When you’re single you don’t have to worry about this. You can roam a party freely or party hop as you please.

5.OR choose to stay in because sometimes Halloween is overrated

While Halloween’s commonly associated with parties, it doesn’t have to be. Taking a night to stay in with girlfriends and carve pumpkins, sip on apple cider, pass out candy and watch movies sounds like a 10/10 night to me. And BONUS: you don’t have to worry about getting in any trouble with Public Safety or the cops because you know that are on an extra lookout this time of year.