How Do You Feel About Taylor Swift’s New Music?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

If you’re any normal millennial with some form of social media, you know about Taylor Swift’s recent return to the music scene. (If you didn’t know about it, how? Do you live under a rock? How do you stay so disconnected from pop culture, please, tell me your secrets!) Anyway, T-Swift has released three singles from her upcoming album, which’s expected to drop on November 10th, 2017. Personally, I don’t know how to feel about it. When I listen to these songs, sometimes I want to shut my laptop and never listen to music again, but other times, I find myself tapping my foot and the song’s stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Regardless, Taylor has my attention, and as much as I hate to admit it, I’ll be listening when the entire album’s released.

“Look What You Made Me Do”

I’m not sure about you, but this song isn’t my favorite. HOWEVER, whether you like it or not, watch the music video!! Taylor throws so much shade and is so dramatic and I love it.

“…Ready for It?”

This song’s my favorite of the three singles. Right at the beginning with all that bass, I’m immediately intrigued. This’s an entirely new style of music for T-Swift, so in my opinion, she’s still working out the kinks. But, this song’s so catchy! If you’re not convinced, listen to the chorus, that’s my favorite part. 

“Gorgeous”

The first line of this song is, “You should take it as a compliment that I got drunk and made fun of the way you talk.” My first thought when hearing this was, “Okay calm down Taylor, get off your high horse.” At this point, I wasn’t impressed, but a few seconds later, there she goes again with the catchy choruses! And then later on in the song, she makes a jab at herself! I always appreciate it when someone can make fun of themselves. This song’s a roller coaster of emotions, really. 

So, what do you think about the new T-Swift? Do you like her new reputation? She’s definitely getting the attention she wants and we’re all very excited for November 10th!

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs