This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Goodbye holidays. Goodbye, winter break. Hello, spring semester!

Welcome back to school! I hope you had a great break because now we’ve officially entered the spring semester of 2018. So exciting, yet I already thought about crying in my room in the dark while eating ice cream after realizing the workload I got going on this semester. But I haven’t done that yet because I’m an intelligent woman who’s determined to never shy away from a challenge so easily!

Winter break was far too short, and summer seems way too far away with the downpour rain and windy weather. It can be hard to motivate myself to study when all I see is gloomy clouds and bright fluorescent ceiling lights in the library. Also, a busy schedule can be overwhelming from attending all your classes to keeping up with the readings and working a full-time job while trying to maintain friendships and your inner peace. It seems like there was no break at all with all this stress from just the first few weeks of the spring semester.

But do not worry, I’m here to help! Here are some things to keep in the back of your mind to help you remember that you’re a strong, beautiful, amazing woman who’s ready to kick this semester in the butt!

1. It might feel like professors are just waiting for you to fail based on their high expectations, but prove them wrong! Be prepared before class, participate, and blow them away with your mind.

2. Read the syllabus to not only know what the professor wants but to also ask questions early about things that aren’t included to prevent feeling behind in the class. Also, some professor might give hidden extra credit opportunities for reading everything on the syllabus. #BrowniePoints

3. Try to break up the amount of reading a professor assigns you so it doesn’t feel like it’s piling up. Maybe one or two chapters a day in the course of a week. This should help you get over little humps instead of climbing over tall mountains. But if that doesn’t work, being good at skimming’s an alternative solution.

4. Saturday’s your day to be the happiest out of all the days of the week. Sleep in, go on an adventure, or binge watch a whole season of “Ozark” on Netflix (Not sponsored just obsessed). Saturday’s a “You-day” and for you to recover from all the long hours of hard work from the week.

5. Plan your week on Sunday. Get your planner out and see what you got going on in this incoming week. Don’t let this part intimidate you with listing all your assignments. Make it fun and for each day of that week, put something that you’ll be looking forward to on that day. For example, Monday I got a huge accounting test, but I’m excited to grab dinner with my best friend after the test. This will help you feel rewarded for all the challenges you had to overcome each day.

6. Remember to believe in yourself and are more than capable to achieve greatness! You have friends, family, and HerCampus cheering you on. Keep cool and rock spring semester! 

Danielle Yao

Portland '19

Ain't it a blessing!