kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get Ready, Summer is Almost Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

There are a lot of reasons to be excited for the summer. My reason is in the photo below: my family. If your finals have been tough just remember that summer is almost here! And there’s so much to be excited about! If you need some #motivation, here’s a list of all of the things keeping me afloat!

We’re free! Well, almost.  I can’t wait to finally have nice weather and get to spend time with my family.  The best part is that there’s no more studying for four months! But what should you do during your summer? I don’t think there is a bad answer to that question.  However, I have some ideas.

Family Time: Now is your opportunity to have some quality time with your family for a long period of time.   Since summer is four months, you don’t have to worry about having to cram in all the things that you want to do.  Your loved ones miss you so they’ll be happy to have you around again.  Don’t forget about seeing your pets! I know I’m excited to see my pug. 

Get a Job:  It’s good experience to have a job in the summer.  It’s another item to put on your resume.  Even if you don’t make that much money, that’s okay! A minimum-wage job will make you appreciate that you get the opportunity to go to college.  Also, you get the experience to try something new.

Internship Experience:  You get to experience what a potential career for you would be like.  I’ve had a couple of summer internships during my college years and they’ve been very helpful in showing me that I’m in the right major.  Some are paid while others aren’t but either way it’s excellent experience.  It gives you the chance to do something you’re passionate about! 

Take a Trip:  This could even just be a day trip to the beach (if you happen to live in a state that borders the ocean) or a road trip to visit a friend.  Just getting out of your home and having an adventure makes you feel like you have purpose, (because I know that during the summer months that is something I struggle with).  Then you’ll have some great memories of the summer!

Whatever you end up doing this summer, make the most of it.  We don’t have many summers left where we won’t be expected to work.  This is your time, so enjoy it.  Sometimes it feels like summer drags on and you miss your friends here at UP but relax.  School will start up again soon enough.  And when it does, don’t you want some good stories to tell?

I love University of Portland!