This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Maddie Ward’s a senior finance and Spanish double major hailing from Golden, Colorado. You may see her around Mehling Hall- she’s a first-year RA! She loves hiking, basketball and spending time with family and friends.

What’s your favorite part of being an RA?

I love getting to know so many people that I normally wouldn’t have been able to cross paths with and being apart of the good and bad times of their college experience. 

How’s senior year going so far?

It’s a lot harder than what I thought it would be. But I really enjoy taking upper division classes and learning about things that I’m actually interested in. 

What’s been your favorite Finance class that you’ve taken so far?

Applied Portfolio Management because it’s like the capstone for finance majors and you get to invest real money and put theory into practice.

How about your favorite Spanish class?

I really enjoyed Business Spanish Translation because it was a great way to tie in both of my majors and it relates to something that I may want to do in the future!

Word on the street is that you’re going abroad this summer. Where are you headed??

I’m hoping to go to Oviedo, Spain which is a quiet town in northern Spain near the Basque country. I’m so excited!

That sounds so much fun! In the meantime, what do you like to do for fun in your free time? Especially for the spring semester of senior year!

I really love ceramics and hiking. And in the past, I’ve also gotten involved with intramural sports on campus and I’ve done some volunteering with an elementary school in the neighborhood which I really enjoyed.

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs