Get to Know Ruby Becker Through Her Favorite Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Music is a form of expression, and someone’s taste in music says a lot about them. I interviewed sophomore communication major, Ruby Becker, about the music she loves and hates to get to know her better.

Ruby had a caveat before answering questions about her favorite music:

Just a forewarning, I can never narrow down favorites so most, if not all, of my replies, will have more than one pick!

Let’s start out easy, what is your favorite genre?

Anything but country. 

What are your favorite songs to listen to when you are happy?

Literally anything by/featuring Chance the Rapper. He radiates positivity and his music always puts me in a good mood. One of my favorite songs, Sunday Candy, comes from a project he did a few years ago as part of Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment.

Also…

Libre – Y La Bamba

What are your favorite songs to listen to when you want to dance?

Jumpin’, Jumpin’ – Destiny’s Child

Get Lucky – Daft Punk

Heart It Races (Dr. Dog Version) – Dr. Dog

Almost everything from BEYONCÉ [Platinum Edition] – Beyoncé

BEYONCÉ [Platinum Edition]

What’s your favorite song to listen to when you are sad?

Etta James is a go-to when I’m feelin’ a little emotional. “All I Could Do Was Cry” gets me every time.

Also…

Five Years – David Bowie

Time Moves Slow – Badbadnotgood

What is your favorite song to listen to when you need a pickup?

6am – Fitz and The Tantrums

My Shot –  “Original Broadway Cast Recording of Hamilton”

Also… if you have 2 extra tickets to Hamilton at the Keller… hit me up!

What’s your least favorite song?

I know I’m going to get a lot of hate… but I’ve never been a fan of Taylor Swift. Like never. My mom got me “Fearless” for my 10th birthday and I remember asking her to take it back! Out of everything I’ve been forced to listen to, I think “Mine” from Speak Now’s the most irritating.

What was our favorite song as a kid?

Not gonna lie, my taste in music as a kid didn’t expand beyond whatever was on Disney Channel.

Of course, I loved the High School Musical soundtrack, Hannah Montana, and the Jonas Brothers (love you, Joe). One duo that I remember being slightly obsessed with were Aly & AJ. I bought, and still have, all their albums and listened to them constantly as a kid. I played their song Rush so much I can probably still sing it word for word.

Also, I just rediscovered their Christmas album and it is actually kind of good. Solid 8/10, would recommend if you need to add some mid-2000s flair to your holiday playlist.

“Acoustic Hearts of Winter”– Aly & AJ

What’s a song that gets stuck in your head the easiest?

“Potential Breakup Song” – Aly & AJ

Thanks for reminding me of it in the last question.

What are some songs you could listen to on repeat and never get bored of?

“I Love You So” – The Walters

“Chanel” – Frank Ocean

“Never Catch Me” – Flying Lotus

Let’s end with some harder questions. What’s your favorite album?

This is literally an impossible question! You can probably tell by now, but I’m awful at picking favorites. I won’t commit to saying that these are my favorite but they’re what I’m loving at the moment: 

“Soul of a Woman” – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

“Flower Boy” – Tyler the Creator

“Painted Ruins” – Grizzly Bear

“Blond” – Frank Ocean

Who’s your favorite artist?

Another impossible question! I can’t pick a favorite. Here are the last 10 artists I’ve listened to & love (in no order & excluding those already mentioned):

Kali Uchis

Childish Gambino

Billie Eilish

Jay Som

Hippo Campus

Yellow Days

Sharon Van Etten

Fleet Foxes

The Psychedelic Furs

Pink Floyd

Last, but not least, what’s a song you wish more people would listen to?

I would definitely recommend Mr. White or Two Fish and an Elephant from Khruangbin’s first album for people looking to expand their study playlist. As someone who has to listen to music while studying, Khruangbin’s soulful, funky ambiance is lively and makes writing term papers a little more bearable.

Below’s the full playlist of all the music Ruby loves. Listen and enjoy, I know I will!

Ruby Becker’s Favorites Playlist

Chips and guac are the way to my heart.