nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Game Nights are Always a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Seeing your friends while you’re in college is easy…or so you would think.  Actually, the higher up you get in college, the busier you are and this makes it hard to see them.  How rude of professors to expect us to work harder when we’re seniors!  Kidding, of course.  But because you have less free time to interact with your friends, the time that you do get to see them you do want to make it meaningful.   So what should you do on the occasions you get to see your friends?  Have a game night!  

Game nights allow for conversation.  You don’t have to yell over a loud setting because of the relaxed atmosphere.  Playing a game is easy enough to do without requiring your entire focus (unless it’s one of those strategy games, then you better pay attention).  The conversation can revolve around the game but it also doesn’t have to.  When people are applying themselves to a game, you never know what type of conversation could break out!  There’s also plenty of room for laughter.  People goof off and it’s a great way to let go of some of the stress you’ve been feeling about school.

A game night can occur in your dorm room or your house.  All that’s required is a board game.  There’s no need to drive somewhere or spend money.  Snacks are a bonus, but those can be easy enough to get with meal points at Mack’s Market or pretty cheaply at Fred Meyer’s.  Multiple people can pitch in to bring some yummy food. 

There are so MANY options for a game that you can all play together!  You don’t have to limit yourselves to only playing one, there a ton of options with different levels of brain activity required.  If you want to think on your time off, you absolutely can do that with a game involving strategy.  However, if you want to play some utterly-fluff game, there are plenty those available as well.  You can switch off, if someone does not like the game you’re currently on, you can move on to the next one. 

How do you get a board game in college?  Many (if not all) of the dorms have some board games available for their residents to play.  As long as you bring them back, it’s totally fine to borrow them!  Some of your friends may also have board games of their own that they’ve brought from home.  That’s a good way to share your favorite game with people who previously haven’t played it, it will all be new to them!  Even a simple deck of cards can be played multiple ways and it’s easy to look up the rules for card games online.  If you really want to, you can even buy a board game from a store.  Goodwill tends to have some options for cheap games (but make sure all of the pieces are still there).  Fred Meyer’s has some to offer too.  These are just a couple of places you can go to find a fun game.

Game nights are easy, cheap and leave plenty of room for conversation so you can catch up with your friends.  There’s no stress involved, and they can happen in pretty much any location.  People don’t need to have high expectations for getting together because as long as you get to see all of your friends, then you’ll for sure have a good time.

I love University of Portland!