jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Free Time in College Isn’t Really Free Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

College is such a cool season of life, in that it has a very unique schedule. Never will we have a schedule quite like a college schedule. Maybe you have 8:10 AM classes every day, but you’re done for the day by 11:30 AM. Or maybe you choose to crank out your credits in three-hour lectures and prefer night classes over morning classes. Whatever your class preferences are, there’s no doubt that your schedule has a lot of free time in it. But is it really free time? I like to think of it as “free time” with extra emphasis on those air quotes! Perhaps there are a few days a week when you have a lull in classes, so you may think that it’s an all clear and time to just chill. Think again, my friend. Here are a few ways that you may want to fill your “free time” this year.

Hit the Books

This one is probably very obvious, but there’s plenty of studying to be done! Personally, during my freshman year, it took me awhile before I realized that the common high school homework routine of working on it during the evening after dinner, was no longer going to cut it in college. I’ve found that during the week, anytime I have a break between classes, I’ll find myself in the library, trying to check things off of my incredibly long to-do list.

Work on Your Fitness! 

Create a fitness routine! Getting regular exercise is essential to maintaining not only physical health but mental health. Check out the Beauchamp Rec Center for an array of fitness classes from spin to zumba and everything in between. Not to mention all of the state of the art machines, the running track or the rock wall! Fill some of your “free time” with a good sweat sesh, you won’t regret it.

Join a Club!

Because I know that we’re all well-rounded people, don’t forget about clubs and extracurricular activities! Getting involved on and off campus is a wonderful way to spend “free time”! Based on your interests, you could join clubs on campus, sign up for intramural sports teams or start volunteering with groups affiliated with the Moreau Center. Not only do extracurricular activities look great on resumes, but it’s important to fill your time with things that aren’t academic related.

Have fun! 

Finally, have fun!! College is meant to be four of the most memorable years of your life. So explore Portland, try new things and make lifelong memories with friends.

How you choose to spend your “free time” in college is completely up to you, but don’t forget, it’s all about balance.  

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs