This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Father John Donato is Fields Hall’s favorite priest. Who wouldn’t love a pastoral resident who invited you over for quality Sunday night dining –yes I’m talking about cereal Sunday. When he arrived on campus in 1999, he had it all; a 90s style mustache, a little caca-poo named Abby, and a bright 17 years at UP ahead of him.

Hometown: Adison, IL

Fun Fact: I studied in Rome for my junior year abroad, and I have two masters and a doctorate.

Favotire thing to do in Portland: Either dining or wine tasting. 

How long have you been a priest?

I was ordained 25 years ago at the University of Notre Dame.

What inspired you to become a priest?

I would say my home pastor/priest/parish. Althought I take most of my inspiration from the Catholic grammar schools and reading many prayers.

What’s your favorite thing about being a hall priest?

I really like hearing laughter down the hall, having people drop by, cooking with students, etc.

Have you had a special experience on campus?

Some of the memories I have go back to the first ever encounter with Christ retreat. We would go in this retreat, and I remember hearing confession late at night and spending time with the students. That memory had an impact on my life. 

What advice do you have for students in choosing their career paths?

Find something that will help you give back to others, because that would be the most rewarding, and you’ll never get bored.