Everything You Should Know About High Heels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Now that it seems we’re getting a few sunny days between the rain in Portland, we have a greater choice of footwear. In fact, if you feel a bit daring, you can even sport some high heels. Of course, many of us are weary when it comes to slipping our feet into those pointy heel contraptions. Luckily, I’ve put some tips together for your shoe adventure

Wedges are a girl’s best friend. Seriously these are the best if you’re a beginner when it comes to high heels. They give you both the height and support to walk around confidently.  

Skip the stilettos. I’ve been wearing heels regularity for two years and I still can’t walk on anything with a heel that thin. Instead go for a chunky heel, those will give you the best stability. I recommend trying to find a heel that the width of your thumb pad to start out with.

Comfortable heels do exist! They’re just really hard to find! I know trust me, shoe shopping is a long and treacherous process. What to look for in the fit of a high heel is: does it pinch your toes? Are you feeling pain in specific area on your heel or just general pain? Does it chafe around the heel or ankle? If it pinches your toe, skip it, there’s almost no way of fixing that one. If you’re feeling pain from the heel that’s concentrated in one area, then ditch it, that means the heel is too narrow for you. If you’re feeling a more general ache, then it may be that you’re not used to the height, which is something that could fix itself if you wear the shoe more often. If the shoes feel like they’re biting into your ankle, take a look at the material. Sometimes cloth and faux leather will loosen up so you may just need to break them it wearing some tall socks.

If you want height, go for a platform. Platforms mean your foot isn’t balanced at such a high angle. Just remember when you walk to lift your foot from the knees more.  

Closed toed shoes will be more stable than sandals. I recommend booties as a good place to start.

When it comes to walking in heels, there’s definitely a learning curve. Practice wearing yours in places that don’t involve a lot of walking, like eating dinner on campus, so you’ll be sitting down most of the time. Also here are some tips to remember: lead with the front of your foot, shift your weight forward on the ball of your foot as you walk, and extend your strides slightly as you walk.

I wish you all luck on your high heeled adventures!

I'm an Environmental Ethics and Policy Major, an intersectional feminist, and fashion lover.