etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eat Your Way Through Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Have you ever been somewhere new, and had no idea what to eat? When you’re on spring break, you want to be adventurous with your culinary choices, and not rely on the only thing you recognize on the menu. If you want to avoid the fast food trap, take a look at this guide and see what the best foods in the most popular spring break places are!

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: There’s so much variety, it’s hard to go wrong! Your better options are going to be spice/herb-heavy rather than cheese-heavy.

Order:

Cochinita Pibil. It’s a sweet, earthy dish made of slow-cooked pork marinated in oranges, spices, and garlic served with tortillas, onions and salsa.

Or

Tuna Tiradito. It’s a great beach snack—fresh slices of tuna with chopped garlic, jalapenos, chile, red onion, lemon juice, soy sauce and olive oil.

Or

Chile Relleno. A poblano pepper stuffed with Oaxaca cheese, battered, deep friend, covered with tomato sauce, and served with refried beans and rice.

The Bahamas: The most authentic local food’s centered around seafood and soups.

Order:

Conch. The island’s national dish, it’s a super versatile shellfish served either raw as a salad, in chowder, or battered and fried.

Or

Chicken souse. A native Bahamian dish, like your typical chicken noodle soup only way better.

Miami Beach, Florida: Look for dishes with Cental/South American or Cuban influence! There are tons.

Order:

Arepas. They’re like a flattened grilled cheese with Columbian and Venezuelan flair.

Or

Ceviche. A typical Peruvian dish made with fish, lime and spice. A super refreshing and flavorful food for hot temps.

Or

Fritas. A Cuban style burger, made of spiced ground beef, onions and potatoes.

Sun Valley, Idaho: Hitting the slopes instead of the beaches for break? Get some hearty, warming food to refuel after a day of skiing or snowboarding.

Go to:

A la mode. Order the gourmet hot cocoa. They also serve it with scoops of ice cream. ‘Nuff said.

Or

Globus. They serve fresh and Asian inspired dishes—think lettuce wraps, dumplings, and pad thai.

Or

Ketchum-Enoteca. They’re all about artisan, local ingredients. Try the bacon-wrapped dates or wood-fired pizza.

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic: If you like fried food, then this is the place for you!

Order:

Tostones. They’re fried plantains and basically served with everything.

Or

Jugo De Chinola. Refresh with some fresh passion fruit juice.

Or

Memelos. This street food looks like a cake pop but has a creamy coconut center covered in candied caramel.

Las Vegas, Nevada: Known for insane, over-the-top and hella expensive dishes. Here are the best digs according to the locals.

Go to:

PinkBox. They have really great donuts.

Or

Andiron Steak and Sea. Go for brunch, and order the chilaquiles and donut plate and a bottomless Bloody Mary.

Or

Lotus of Siam. Named one of the best Thai restaurants in the US, found in a low-key strip mall.

Happy Spring Break, and Bon appetite!

Currently undeclared major from Mount Vernon, Washington.