Calling All Time Travelers! TV Update – Timeless Season 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Are you looking for a new show to get into? How does the concept of time-travel squad adventures with a dash of secret society conspiracy sound?

May I introduce NBC’s Timeless. If this name sounds familiar, it’s because this show is actually in its second season – not a brand new show still in its freshman run. But stick with me, and let me explain the show and it’s legacy so far. And in order to do that, I need to go back in time. First stop – 2016. 

On October 3, 2016, the drama premiered on NBC as part of their primetime lineup. It soon became a fan favorite of the 2016 fall season. The three main characters Lucy Preston, a history professor, Rufus Carlin, an engineer, and Wyatt Logan, a soldier, travel through history in pursuit of a dangerous man with a very specific agenda. In the 16 episodes of season 1, the Time Team meets many people, from United States Presidents to outlaws, and travel to times spanning from the Revolutionary War in 1780 to Richard Nixon’s Presidency in 1972. Their actions in the past have repercussions in the present, which plays a part in developing the characters’ backstories and relationships with each other. The plot gets more complicated as the season goes on, but, don’t worry, I won’t go into very deep spoilers.

The show itself has accomplished some major bounce back. Even though the show did well initially, viewership declined. But the show was still a fan-favorite so the network was on the fence about whether to give it a second season or not. Fast-forward to summer 2017. On May 10, 2017, it was finally announced that Timeless would not be getting renewed for a second season. The viewership throughout the first season just wasn’t enough to get a renewal and the network pulled the plug.

But the fandom was in an uproar. In the days leading up the renewal decision, there was a big fan-based movement to drum up support for the show – #RenewTimeless. It continued even after the decision was made and…

IT WORKED! Just three days after the announcement, the network reversed their decision! 10 episodes were slotted for the spring of 2018!

If you were a part of the fandom at the time, let me tell you, it was a wild few days. At the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con, the cast talked about their reaction to the cancellation and then again with the decision change. A special video was made by the producers of the show as a “thank you” to the fans, because without their support and passion for the show, the renewal would not have happened. It was the perfect way to start hyping up the next season and a great reminder that the Timeless fandom is extraordinary. Now we’re back in the present! So far season 2 has been off to a great start. The first episode aired not too long ago on March 18, 2018. We’re only three episodes in, but the stakes are even higher than last season and there’s been some major relationship and character developments. Not to mention the awesome people the team has gotten to meet so far and the major PLOT TWIST AT THE END OF EPISODE 3! I am super excited for what the rest of the season has in store!

But on to a more serious note – now more than ever, the viewership of this show is crucial to it getting renewed for another season. It is again up to the fans to show their love and support for the show if they want to see it continue. Some are already pretty pessimistic about the outlook,  believing there’s not a big enough fanbase. But I am holding out hope until the end. I think that if the fans can save this show once, they can do it again and we can keep it going.

I love this show and the characters. I love how they’ve become this inseparable unit that I root for every single week. All of their specialized talents play a crucial role in them surviving each mission. There’s such a complex plot and Wyatt, Lucy, and Rufus are often forced into situations where their choices can affect the course of history. But despite the seriousness presented by the high stakes, it’s balanced out by perfectly timed bits of humor. One of my favorite things about this show is how the characters interact with the people they meet. Whenever they get to meet a legendary historical figure, it often results in fangirl/fanboy moments, which are adorable and hilarious. Because who wouldn’t freak out over meeting Abraham Lincoln?

Here’s my final pitch to you: Timeless at its heart is more than just adventures through history and national conspiracies. With each trip, we get to see how society has changed and we get to meet the people behind the legends we read about in textbooks. The show explores themes of racism and sexism through time. The characters deal with issues like loss and grief and trust and integrity while still maintaining humanity and humor. And even if you’re not into the deeper themes in prime time drama series, you might still appreciate the incredible work the production team puts into creating accurate backdrops for each episode. Whether it’s the fashion, the cars, the language, the people behind this show outdo themselves week after week.

Also, can I just give a shoutout to the cast? I love them all – their performances in the show are superb, and off camera, we get to see that they all get along really well, thanks to pictures and videos on social media. The genuine friendships among them really shine through in the chemistry we see on screen. Plus, they take some pretty great group pictures.

If I’ve peaked your interest at all, you can check out some clips on YouTube – the channel name is simply “Timeless”. If you’re already part of the Time Team and you need to catch up on season 2, the episodes are available on the NBC website. And for all of you new recruits, all of season one is on Hulu!

Catch you next Sunday at 10/9c!

[Feature image by Stock Snap. Images from @nbctimeless (Instagram)]

Jennifer is studying Environmental Science and English at the University of Portland. She loves to read, write, take photos, and watch animated movies in her free time.