8 Artists You Can’t Miss in Portland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Live music has the power to bring people together. When you’re at a show, you feel a unity between the crowd and the artist that you don’t get when you’re listening to a recording. You’re all under one roof, enjoying the one thing you all have in common; a love for music. I’m a music fanatic, but I realize you may not be, so here are a couple of artists that I think will change your life.

1. Daughter

Elena Tonra has the type of voice that transcends beauty. I promise, it’ll send chills down your spine. It’s as if her voice breathes into your ear and tickles your brain, there’s no way you could walk away from this show not feeling happy. They have just released a new album titled Not To Disappear. Their show will most likely be more of an intimate setting with their mellow indie genre.

When: March 20th

Where: Wonder Ballroom

Tickets: $18-20, the website says it’s sold out, but you’ll see ticket sales on alternative sites closer to the date.

2. Wolfmother

Wolfmother is more of an upbeat grunge-punk type of genre. If you’re looking to get hyped, and jump around the crowd, and maybe try crowd surfing, this is the show for you! I think everyone should go to at least one of these type of shows in their lifetime. It’s a great experience, and something you won’t forget. Click the photo to listen to a couple of their tracks.

When: March 30th

Where: Wonder Ballroom

Tickets: $49-96

3. Courtney Barnett

She is an Australian angel. Her witty lyrics and dreamy voice will leave you in a delirious state of euphoria. Her music ranges from indie rock to indie folk. She is down to earth, and interacts with the audience which creates a more intimate vibe. She writes about real-life situations that we can all relate to. She reminds me of the female version of Alex Turner (Arctic Monkey’s front man). One of my favorite songs is “History Eraser“, which will give you a taste of what she’s like.

When: April 20th

Where: Wonder Ballroom

Tickets: $40-111

4. Beach House

Beach Hose is another group with dreamy voices of angels. Their music is soothing and sway-worthy. It is strongly influenced by the keyboard and simple beats. They’ve been around for around a decade now, and they have yet to produce an album that I don’t like. If you’ve never heard of them, check out their album Depression Cherry, which brings you back to their earlier style of dream-pop. Listen, and go see them live. Their music is life-changing.

When: Sept 30th

Where: Roseland Theater

Tickets: $23-25

5. Saint Motel

Saint Motel is a lively, upbeat band with jazz and indie roots. This is the type of show where you won’t just stand still. The crowd will be hopping and dancing to their catchy tunes. They’re the type of band to keep the audience involved and singing along. You’ve probably heard their song “My Type“, but if not check it out!

When: May 28th

Where: Crystal Ballroom

Tickets: $18

6. Chairlift

This artist is one you absolutely cannot miss. Chairlift knows how to keep the crowd intrigued with their catchy beats and her lovely voice. They’re a progressive indie-electro group. This is another show where you can’t help but dance around. The music will uplift your spirits and give you a sense of friendship with everyone around you. 

When: March 23rd

Where: Mississippi Studios

Tickets: $20

7. Mac DeMarco

Mac is everything you need in your life. He brilliantly merges indie with psychedelic rock and “jangle pop”. His incredible voice narrates the quirks of his life. He’s a silly guy and loves his fans, so you know his show would be a fun and must-have experience. Act fast, because his tickets sell out quick! His video of the “Backer” will show you a bit of his character. If you haven’t already listened to his music, I would suggest checking out the album titled Salad Days

When: May 25th

Where: Roseland Theater

Tickets: $45-188

8. Lapsley

Lapsley is a fairly new artist from London with an electric ambient vibe. This is the kind of music you’ll find in Victoria’s Secret or Forever 21. If you’re looking for a chill setting, this is the music for you! She has a similar style to Sam Smith, but with a more progressive twist. 

When: April 25th

Where: Doug Fir Lounge

Tickets: $15

If you haven’t explored the music scene in Portland yet, this is a great place to start! All of these venues can be reached by bus, Uber, or car! Hearing live music is an experience that everyone should have!