This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

It’s summer break and it is time to sit back, relax, and do absolutely nothing! And you have more than earned it after working super hard for the past nine months. But if you’re like me, you might find yourself still in bed, scrolling through Instagram or Pinterest hours after your alarm has gone off and then feeling guilty as you finally pull yourself from underneath your covers to start the day which is already half over. If you’re also like me, you’re looking for inspiration for things to do indoors at home. Here are a couple ideas to help you have a more productive and fun summer vacation from the comfort of home!

1. Plan a hangout with your friends.

I know, I know – planning things with friends can be a lot of work – everyone has different schedules, no one wants to commit to one idea, etc.

But in the end, the time you spend with your friends is so worth it! Plus, being the one who steps forward and makes the decisions can become a real-life skill that you can call upon in the future. Start small and simple. First find a time and date that works for as many people as possible, depending on your group size. With smaller groups, it’s more likely to get everyone on the same page quicker. Then provide a few ideas, like a walk and a picnic lunch or a movie and ice cream afterward. If there’s a consensus about what everyone wants to do, great! If not, you can try to find a compromise or work to get everyone on board with one idea. Remember that you have the whole summer! You’re not limited to just one get together! Do as many things as you can. Use the time you have to make as many memories with your friends as you can!

2. Comb through your computer

Throughout the school year, everyone accumulates a lot of files that can take up space on your device’s storage. Now that the year is over, go through your emails, your documents and downloads folder, your pictures and wherever else you store your files from school. Delete junk email, no-reply messages, duplicate files, blurry photos, and pictures of homework. Sort what you can into folders. It’s not super fun, but it’s the perfect mind-numbing to do while watching Netflix. In the end, you’ll feel more organized and have a bit more space on your computer and phone and your future self will thank you.

3. Update your resume

Ugh real world things, gross! No one wants to think about that while on vacation. Whether or not you’ve got a job lined up for the summer, again, your future self will thank you. If you worked a job during the school year or completed an internship, write the dates and description down while it’s still fresh in your mind. Also, update your profiles on job-finding websites like LinkedIn or Handshake. When you return to school and begin to look at other jobs, internships, and leadership positions, you’ll be ready!

4. Do some research for upcoming vacations

Hear me out! Researching for vacations can be a lot of fun and can make future trips you take much more enjoyable and smooth. Even if you don’t have the means to go on your dream vacation right now, be it Disneyland or a tour of Europe, it’ll hype you up for your next big adventure and make it seem all the more possible. Find out when “peak season” is, or when the most people will be traveling there. Narrow down a list of sights you want to see and places you can eat. Think about how you’ll get your destination and how you’ll get around when you’re there. Get an estimate of about how long your trip will take, so you can keep your future schedule clear. A little planning now can really help you in the long run.

5. Try something new

This suggestion has endless options. Download Duolingo and learn a language over the summer. Learn how to play your favorite song on the ukelele. Learn how to make aesthetic edits or videos. Start a new social media account and post your photos, your poems, or your art there. Watch a tv show or read a book from a different genre. While you’ve got the time, use it to expand your horizons!

Whatever your plans are this summer, enjoy it to the fullest! Hopefully, these ideas will help you branch out and make memories. And when break ends and someone inevitably asks “What did you do this summer?”, you’ll have a great answer!

Jennifer is studying Environmental Science and English at the University of Portland. She loves to read, write, take photos, and watch animated movies in her free time.