5 Ways To Get Off Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Leaving campus can seem almost impossible sometimes.  If you haven’t experienced the constant food, activities, and structure of a small campus, then you may find this concept puzzling.  As a student who has spent practically an entire week within the four walls of just a handful of buildings; I can account that this theory is more than possible. I can also tell you know that it’s not fun at all.  Although I will always attest that as a full time student, schoolwork should be one of your highest priorities.  It is important, sometimes more important than homework, to give yourself space away from school though.  Remember that you are a person, not just a computerized machine, because if you forget this, I promise, you will burnout by the end of the semester.  

I have collected a list of five places and activities to help remove yourself from the stresses and environment of school.  

1. Go to a coffee shop.

For the past few weeks, I have been exploring the surrounding area of my college for some fun, new coffee shops. During my exploring, I found some awesome ones to hang out with friends at and to study at. Grabbing coffee at our common cafeteria, while more convienent, can get old especially when you see the same people there every day.  

2. Find a gym or fitness classes. 

I have learned my fair share of lessons about exercising, especially in my time at college.  Exercising always makes me feel better, particularly when I am stressed out about classes. I have found though that working out at my campus gym doesn’t help quell my stress. Personally, I need to completely leave the place that is causing me stress, in order to make me feel better.  Another positive result I have found is that I am able to interact with people other than students, and get a small taste of the real world.  

3. Go on a walk. 

I have found that fresh air is a rare commodity at college.  I am constantly rushing between classes, and seldom find the time and opportunity to enjoy the outdoors without the thought of assignments on my mind. So I have made the goal to go on at least two walks per week, usually ranging from one to two miles. This is a time that I can’t and don’t worry about the stresses in my life, and can physically remove myself from the college environment.  

4. Find a job or volunteer position.

Before getting to college, I was convinced that I would not get a job because I would be so busy with school work.  Although it is true that I am extremely busy, I need to find a perspective outside myself and help others.  In high school, I always held at least two jobs, because personally I need have a purpose other than education in my life.  

5. Go out to dinner.

The food at my cafeteria is bland and consists of the same four stations every day.  And for a week straight at the beginning of October, I didn’t eat anything but cafeteria food, and I believe that my attitude became extremely negative as a result.  You need to go out to eat!  Eating at a restaurant with friends is a great way to socialize and become part of the surrounding community.