5 Things They Don’t Tell You About Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Freshman year is crazy, it’s filled with new friends, new places, and new opportunities.  It’s a time to finally discover your interests and be yourself!  This year comes with responsibilities, along with a new found freedom.  But as amazing as freshman year is, it definitely comes with unexpected territory, here’s the top five things they don’t tell you about freshman year…

1. You will feel lonely.

Unfortunately this is inevitable.  You are in a new place, with completely new people, and even if those people are BFF worthy, there will still be a many moments of loneliness.  The best way to prepare for this is to know it’s going to happen, and to remember you aren’t the only one. 

2. It’s difficult to find alone time.

College is a time of pure socializing.  You are most likely going to be around people all the time.  Even if you are just vegging out in the dorm watching Netflix, your roommate will still be there.  You are constantly eating, studying, and walking to class with people, so it’s really rare for moments of alone time.  Cherish them!  And remember, it’s okay to want to eat dinner alone sometimes, just because you are in college, doesn’t mean you need to change all of your habits. 

3. Managing your schedule will be tough. 

In high school you probably had a very distinct schedule: all your classes were during the day, then you had the rest of the afternoon to do sports, homework, or other activities.  But college involves a completely different  plan.  Mostly likely you will have large gaps of time between your classes, that you will have to find the motivation to fill with studying.  Also you will probably have night classes!

4. Your digestive system will get whacky. 

No matter how good your school’s cafeteria food is, your body will have some weird reaction to it.  And it’s no surprise that this happens, you’ve been eating the same food for the past 18 years, and now you are introducing whole ingredients to it.

5. Studying for classes will be extremely time consuming.

I’m sure you’ve heard how hard college classes are, and while that is true, studying for them will take a lot of time and motivation.  Most professors in college don’t assign homework, instead they insist on reading 30 plus pages of homework a night, and a weekly essays.  Be prepared for the work!