5 Reasons to be Psyched for Springtime on the Bluff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Now that the Spring Semester is in full swing, we are patiently awaiting the arrival of the spring weather! Despite the few piles of dirty snow that still remain on campus, the grass is green, the sun shines occasionally, and students are desperate to shed their winter layers. The idea of spring brings about the excitement of newness. Flowers are blooming, everything is emerging from hibernation and you can stand outside for prolonged periods of time without your fingers and toes freezing off. So here are five reasons why pilots should be pumped for springtime on the Bluff:

5. Spring Events on Campus

When I think about spring semester at UP, two things come to mind: Dance of the Decades and Rock the Bluff. These events are easily the two most anticiapted events of the entire school year. Dance of the Decades is the annual dance at the Crystal Ballroom where the dress code is anything from your favorite decade. 90’s grunge? Great go-to! 70’s flower child? Sure, why not! 50’s Pink Ladies? That’s my personal favorite.

Rock the Bluff is also a largely successful concert that takes place toward the end of the school year that everyone looks forward to. Last year, the Bleachers performed, and the year before that, Young the Giant. Ever heard of Macklemore? Yep, he’s performed at UP too.

4. Founder’s Day

Founder’s Day takes place every April and for many students, is the pinnacle of the school year. Many seniors present their capstone projects on Founder’s Day to peers, professors and other members of the UP community. It marks the unofficial beginning of the end of the school year where all of our hard work starts to pay off. And for younger students who are not giving presentations on this day, it is a treasured day off for a school that does not observe three day weekends. #BlessUP

3. Spring Break & Easter Break

These vacations during the spring semester are very much anticipated and appreciated. I think the main difference between fall break and spring break is that, especially for underclassmen, fall break is a great time to spend with family because it is the first break of the school year, and let’s be honest, the homesickness is real! However, once you have a solid routine living on your own and a close group of friends, you may be more likely to spend spring break or Easter break with friends, exploring Portland, each other’s hometowns, or new places! (And by now, summer vacation is so close, you can taste it!!)

2. Baseball Season

Spring means baseball season is right around the corner! There is nothing like enjoying the great outdoors while watching America’s pastime. And lucky for UP students, we have many opportunities to cheer on our fellow Pilots at Joe Etzel field. I highly recommend catching a game if you’ve never been!

1. SUNSHINE

I think that this is a favorite across the board. Personally, one of my favorite days of the spring semester is the first warm day where students flock to the outdoors to sprawl out across the lawns of UP. Whether you lug homework outside, join a group of friends to play frisbee, or just lay in the grass, catching some rays and starting to offset that trademark Portland pale tint we all get in the winter, this is easily one of the best times at UP. Bring on the Vitamin D!

Student at the University of Portland #GoPilots CA born and raised, OR transplant Lover of coffee, music, sarcasm and dogs