DIY Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Need a quick, festive recipe for your holiday potluck, but also want to impress? Dark chocolate peppermint bark is just as easy as it is pretty! You’ll be sure to stand out among the tables of store-bought cookies and bizarre pretzel Jell-O salads, but most of all, it can easily be made in a college dorm kitchen!

You will need:

• 16oz of dark or semi-sweet chocolate or a mixture of the two (I use 10oz of dark and 6oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips)
  • 6oz white chocolate
  • Two microwaveable bowls
  • A heavy glass bowl
  • A plastic bag
  • A 9” x 16” pan covered in wax paper
  • Three candy canes
  • Toothpick

1. Chop up your chocolates into small pieces so it will melt more quickly, but if you’re using chocolate chips, skip this step!

2. Separate your white and dark/semi-sweet chocolate into two bowls

3. For 3-5 minutes, heat chocolates in the microwave in intervals of one minute, stirring in between minutes to make sure every piece is melted

4. Put the candy canes into the bag. Crush the candy canes by rolling the glass bowl over them with pressure

5. Pour the dark/semi-sweet chocolate into the wax paper-lined pan. Spread it around the pan evenly with a fork

6. Drizzle the white chocolate into the pan over the dark chocolate

7. With a toothpick, marble the white and dark chocolate together

8. Sprinkle the crushed candy cane evenly over your chocolate

9. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. While the chocolate is still not completely solid, cut it into triangles with a knife and place into the refrigerator for 45 minutes

Point Park University Junior Acting major with minors in Frappuccinology and Complaining About Boys. The girl on campus with the sequin beanie and the giant shiny headphones (yep, that girl). I usually wear mostly pink and the gym and have nearly 300 bottles of nail polish. Now that I've given you more than enough reasons to hate me, take a looksie at my DIY articles. Maybe you'll change your mind. Comments and suggestions more than welcome!