Wellness

What We’re Thankful For in These Weird Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I feel as though I have gone through the stages of grief with leaving Pitt and moving back home. At first, I was sad having to say goodbye to some of my closest friends—some of whom are seniors, so I don’t know when I’ll see them again. Then once I got home, I was mad because of all the things I knew I’d miss out on: my summer in Europe, time with my friends and my life in Pittsburgh which I love so muchIt’s really easy to lay around, feel sorry for yourself and daydream about what you’d be doing if you weren’t in quarantine…but that doesn’t help anyone. In an effort to be positive, I decided to ask the members of HC Pitt as well as some of my close friends what they’re thankful for. I hope reading these will help you think of the things in your own life that will keep you going when everything else might look bleak. 

“So thankful for my siblings!!!! So many things have happened, and they have made me so happy to be home, making me laugh every single day.”

“I’m grateful for my family, especially for taking care of me during this time, while still trying to have some fun. I’m also grateful for my mom. She’s a nurse at a hospital in Philadelphia, and she’s in the thick of this. I’m grateful for her courage to protect my family and to take care of the coronavirus patients who come through her healthcare system.”

“Family, friends, and FaceTime.”

“I’m thankful for my friends and roommates for keeping me sane and grounded during this time. It’s nice sometimes just to call someone up and rant about everything that’s happening. I’m sadly not quarantining with my family because my parents both work in healthcare, and it’s safer to stay in my apartment in Oakland than at home. That being said, I am so thankful for the work they do and for continuing to help patients even during this crazy time. Oh! And boxed mac and cheese.”

Kraft Mac N Cheese
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
“I am thankful for how supportive everyone is to one another as we are all globally dealing with the same issue, my mommy’s cooking, my bed, music and the ability to go into my own green space and sit there absorbing the sun or reading a book, or looking at the trees.”

“Warm, sunny days where I can sit outside or go for a walk.”

“A backyard, access to food and prescription medication, a pet, my own bedroom, books and internet access!!”

a bunch of books
Patrick Tomasso on Unsplash
“My job is still paying me for the next few weeks!! Super happy about that.”

I know this is difficult in a lot of ways but reminding yourself of the good can make it easier. Staying home is saving lives, even if it sucks. I know I’m grateful for my family, always having food on the table, the ability to keep in close contact with my friends, my car to go for drives when I’m bored, my dog, Tik Tok, my free time to make art and that nobody I know has gotten sick. Things will hopefully be back to normal when we all come back to Pitt in the fall, so hang in there. I hope you’re all doing well and finding ways to stay happy.

Emily is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in Architecture and Studio Arts. She is on HC Pitt's executive board as the social media director.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt