What to Wear This Holiday Party Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Though it seems like just yesterday we were sporting sundresses and flowy pants to summer parties, the brutal and snowy weather seems to have quickly arrived. However, with this weather also comes endless amounts of (possibly spiked) hot chocolate, peppermint bark, and holiday parties. It may seem impossible to stay warm, appropriate, and chic all at the same time, however it is possible. The queen Audrey Hepburn said it herself, “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible.’” So, cozy up with your favorite fuzzy blanket and read my guide for how to be the trendiest girl at your next holiday party!

Shine Bright like a Diamond

The holidays are a time of lights, tinsel, and glittery paper snowflakes. What better way to fit this theme than by wearing sparkles? If you love dresses, try a dress that is covered in sparkles or sequins! Gold, glittery dresses are also perfect for ringing in the New Year. If you want a subtle touch of sparkle, try a dress that uses embellishments as opposed to full-on sparkle. This dress from Urban Outfitters is perfect if you don’t want to over-do the sparkle. It can be paired with a pair of tights, booties, and leather jacket for an edgier look.

Soft as Velvet

If a dress isn’t the look you’re going for, try a pair of velvet leggings. Not only will they keep you warm, but they will also add texture to your outfit. They come in an array of colors, from basic black that goes with everything, to burgundy. I just purchased these burgundy leggings and can’t wait to wear them with black motorcycle boots and a cream colored turtle neck! 

Sweater Weather

When people think about holiday sweaters, they tend to think one thing: ugly Christmas sweaters. However, there are endless ways to rock a cute sweater this holiday season. From cardigans to pull-overs, your options are endless! This holiday season, try a sweater dress for your next gathering. Paired with opaque tights or textured leggings, you can’t go wrong with a classic sweater dress. This one from Urban features a turtleneck, so a necklace isn’t necessarily needed. Opt for a crystal headband and colored tights and you’re sure to rock the night away. 

Glam Accessories

Any outfit can be dressed up with the right accessories. From the right pair of bold socks to keep you warm, to a silver or gold head chain, nothing is off limits for holiday accessories! If bold statement necklaces aren’t your thing, pair a layered necklace with your look. The multiple strands will create definition and help you stand out all night long. As for makeup, don’t forget to emphasize your brows and sport a dark, cranberry lip to ensure you’ll be the most fab girl under the mistletoe!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Hi! My name is Amanda and I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for HC Pitt and am absolutely loving it! Helping others with advice about their articles and getting to read amazing stories has been so rewarding. I love writing about topics that make people's days just a little cheerier! Her Campus has been a wonderful experience for me over the past four years. I get to work with an amazing team every day and could not be more grateful. As a senior, looking back from where I started with Her Campus, I see how much it's changed me and all of the great friends I've made from it too. Saying HC is one of the best things that has happened to me during my college career would be an understatement! I really love how much it has grown and how much others have benefitted from their experience with our organization. HCXO <3