Ways To Spice Up Your Interview Outfit While Staying Appropriate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The expected interview outfit is a plain black or gray suit with a solid colored button-down or blouse. However, I like to think that wearing something slightly more interesting and stylish—but still appropriate—is a way to set yourself apart from others. Depending on what field you are trying to get a job in plays a role in what you wear as well. If you plan on going into the fields of business or science, simple is probably better. For a field like art, fashion, or PR you can probably wear something a little less conventional. 

1.  Wear different colored suit separates.

I’d still stick to wearing neutral pieces, but instead of wearing a matching suit try wearing black pants and a tan jacket, or grey pants and a navy jacket. If you are doing this, a white button down is best to wear underneath because it is still a classic.

2. Wear a silk button-down instead of cotton.

Silk button-downs are unbelievably comfortable, and look just as formal as cotton, if not more. Thrift shops are an excellent place to find 100% silk button-downs without spending a whole paycheck on one shirt.

3. Try a below-the-knee pencil skirt.

A pencil skirt that hits below the knee is very flattering and can be more chic than the average skirt. If you’ve ever watch the show Suits, Megan Markle (Rachel) and Gina Torres (Jessica) wear them regularly. They show less skin, but still offer the femininity of a skirt.

4. Try wearing flats instead of heels.

Though, as women, we sometimes glorify heels, they can be uncomfortable. If you aren’t used to walking in them you can risk looking like a newborn giraffe, in which case it would be better to wear a pair of dressy flats. Oxfords, loafers, and patent leather flats are all good substitutes for heels.

5. Wear a statement dress.

Wear a simple, but flattering dress that is modest enough to be business appropriate. Banana Republic is a great place to find dresses for work, and they have great sales. Make sure the dress is in a neutral or dark color so the attention is on you, not the dress. Don a blazer or trench coat over the dress to complete the outfit.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt