This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We all know that as humans, we need food, water, and shelter to survive. Why then is approximately 75% of the nation suffering from chronic dehydration? With the increased consumption of soda and the general lack of attention toward one’s health, people forget that water is a basic human necessity. Water is essential to make your body and mind function properly. The average adult is 50-60% water, so it influences every single process your body does. John Ericson from medicaldaily.com reports, “Over time, failure to drink enough water can contribute to a wide array of medical complications, from fatigue, joint pain, and weight gain to headaches, ulcers, high blood pressure, and kidney disease.” If you were a contestant in the Hunger Games, water would be the first thing you would look for, so start drinking it now, while you still can.

What are the benefits of drinking enough water?

• Clear Mind – Drinking enough water has been proven to keep the mind refreshed, alert, and focused. Clear mind = improved mood!
  • Improved Digestion – Drinking water keeps your colon doing its job correctly, which keeps your body regular. Before drinking some prune juice or coffee to get things going, evaluate what your water intake has been like recently.
  • Glowing Skin – Our skin is our largest organ, so keeping it properly nourished helps balance out the texture and the complexion.
  • Increased Energy – Ample fluids in the body ensure that nutrients are flowing throughout your entire body, nourishing and fueling it all day long. GET HYPE WITH WATER.
  • Flushes Out Toxins – Imagine if you drank as much water every day as you do after a long night out. Woah. Instead of just flushing out all those cranberry vodkas, you’ll be flushing out the toxins that come simply from everyday life.

What are the signs I’m not drinking enough water?

• When your pee is yellow, it is a sign that you are dehydrated. No color – you’re in the clear! ;)
  • Nowadays, people are so chronically dehydrated that we often mistake hunger for thirst! Next time you are hungry, gulp down an 8 oz. glass of agua and wait 20 min.
  • Headaches can also be a result of dehydration! Our brains are 80% water, so when you don’t drink enough water, it causes your brain to shrink and pull away from the skull, which causes the pain that we call a headache!
  • Other possible symptoms of dehydration: fatigue, muscle cramps, dry skin, confusion, dizziness, agitation, etc.

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above, that should set off an alarm that you are dehydrated. But, you really should never let your body get to that point.

How much water should I be drinking?

People are generally familiar with the eight 8 oz. glass a day rule. However, once you really start consuming large amounts of water every single day, you will know what is truly right for your body. I think starting with drinking half your body weight in ounces is a good place to begin to gage what quantity is right for you. If you are exercising, you should increase your water consumption accordingly.

Tips for Staying Hydrated All Day Erry Day

• As soon as you wake up, have a glass of water waiting for you and show off your chugging skills. After going all night without drinking any water, your body will be craving some H2O. 
  • Find a cute reusable bottle you love and carry it with you everywhere! Show your Panther Pride with the University of Pittsburgh Camelbak, or try the bkr Glass Water Bottle. Glass water bottles are free of harmful chemicals like BPA, phthalate, and PVC, so nothing can leach into the water you are consuming.
  • Set certain times to finish a full bottle of water each day. For example: after Biology, I should have a bottle finished, and then by the end of Sociology, I should finish my second. Or maybe: by the time lunch comes around, I should have finished at least one water bottle, and then the same for dinner. Creating these checkpoints will help make staying hydrating part of your life. 
  • Eat fruits and vegetables! They are all dense in water (some more than others) and they can help you eat your way to hydration! Eating a cucumber is basically like drinking a full water bottle – it’s 96% water. Dat ish cray.
  • As far as drinking water while you exercise, that is really up to your personal preference. However, your workout will be optimal when you are sufficiently hydrated, so drink an 8 oz. glass of water 30 minutes prior to every workout and make sure you rehydrate after as well.

What is the best water to drink?

Ultimately, the purest water to drink (which is the best for your body) is spring water, but obviously the average college student doesn’t have time to hit up a spring each day.  (But, if you do want to try drinking true spring water, go to findaspring.org to locate a spring closest to you!) For college students, the best thing to do is to get a Brita filter to keep in your room to filter out some of the chemicals in the tap water. Municipal tap water typically contains toxic metals, tampon paper, pharmaceutical drugs, and other nasty things that we definitely do not want to be drinking. You can also try drinking coconut water if you want something with a little more flavor! Coconut water is full of electrolytes and is extremely nourishing.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt