This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

That time of year is upon us again: midterms, the bane of every student’s existence. It’s easy to feel like your world is caving in and you have nothing figured out, but don’t freak out! Midterms will be over before you know it, and the rest of the semester will fly by even faster. In the meantime, here are some simple tips that make midterms a lot more bearable!

1. Wake up early

Even if you don’t have any morning classes, you’ll probably be at your most motivated if you get up early in the morning. If you have time to get a nice outfit together, put makeup on, and eat an actual breakfast, you’re setting your day up for success. Don’t be like me: avoid laying in bed, scrolling on your phone, until the last possible minute (I swear, it’s a habit I’m trying to break), but get yourself up and ready to go instead.

2. Stay hydrated

Water does so much for our bodies: it increases energy, keeps our digestive system in check, flushes out toxins, improves complexion, helps keep away headaches, and keeps us focused. Keep a water bottle with you at all times (especially during exams) to keep yourself healthy and hydrated.

3. Keep a well-packed bag

Don’t let a forgotten computer charger ruin your study plans. Make sure you bring all of your study necessities to the library with you so you’re less tempted to tap out early! It might also be a good idea to pack snacks or a travel mug to curb your hunger and stay caffeinated.

4. Put your phone away

It’s far too easy to let a quick five-minute study break become twenty minutes of mindless scrolling on your phone.  Keep your phone tucked away and on Do Not Disturb mode so you won’t be tempted to check it, and try to only use it for that annoying multifactor authentication nonsense.

5. Use your planner!

This is literally the time of year that planners were made for. Don’t lose track of important dates, assignments, and events: write down everything in your planner so your priorities don’t slip.

6. Let the caffeine kick in

Not everyone drinks copious amounts of coffee, but if you do, this is not the time to kick the habit. Make sure you have the caffeine you need to get you through the pains of studying and exams, and don’t cut back: caffeine, whether you believe it or not, is a drug, and you don’t want to be getting those withdrawal symptoms. If you don’t drink coffee regularly and you’re feeling tired (but also don’t want the wired, jumpy feeling that coffee can sometimes give), try a black or green tea.

7. Spend time with friends

It may feel like you don’t have time for anything social, but push past any possible reluctance you have and spend some time with friends. It’s easy to feel like you’re wasting precious study time, but everybody needs a break. Being social doesn’t have to be a big event, either. Grab breakfast with a friend before your shared class, or hang out with your roommates in your apartment.

8. Make fun post-midterms plans

Sometimes the easiest way to push through something unpleasant is to have something to look forward to, so make some fun plans to help get through the tediousness of exams. My favorite place to go when I’m stressed is Phipps; nothing makes me feel better than taking an hour or two out of my day to appreciate some beautiful plants.

9. Dress for success

I tend to dress up on exam days, because it gives me some confidence, but you should dress for your own success. Do you perform better on exams when you’re wearing a dress? Then wear a dress! Do you remember more material when you’re dressed in sweats and a t-shirt? In that case, wear what makes you most comfortable!

You should also wear a watch if you know your room does not have a clock, or your professor doesn’t have a countdown projected on the screen.

10. Don’t forget about self-care

Breathe. Cook a meal for yourself. Take a long shower. Stick a blanket in the dryer and wrap yourself in it. Get as much sleep as you can. Don’t forget to take medications. Call a friend. Exercise or take a short walk.

It’s easy to get overwhelmed, but take everything one day, one assignment, or one task at a time. Now isn’t the time to think about the far future and get all existential: just focus on getting through these exams and staying on top of school. You’ve made it so far already, and you’re going to make it through this too! Everything else can wait: right now, you are the priority.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hi, I'm Jess! I'm a Senior at The University of Pittsburgh double-majoring in Nonfiction English Writing and Communication with a French Minor.  "Nothing even matters except love and human connection- who you loved, and how deeply you loved them; how you touched the people around you, and how much you gave them."
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt