Tips for Moving into Your First College Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, this past year I moved into my first college apartment, and it was one of the best and nerve-racking things I’ve had to do in my life. I was so excited to live on my own and cook for myself, but I was also terrified of living on my own and cooking for myself! One of the things that I always did was look up HC articles to give me tips on packing and décor, so here’s the 2017 version!

Create a Checklist with your Roommates

I found that this really helped my roommates and I split up everything we needed for the house. If you don’t even know where to begin, take a look at the list below to give you a general idea of everything you’ll need. That way, you don’t end up with 5 sets of pots that you don’t have room for/ don’t need.

Get Creative Even if You Can’t Nail Anything

Most landlords are pretty strict about nailing anything into the walls when you’re renting an apartment. So, one of the easiest ways to get around this is by taping everything. Don’t forget about command strips, of course! You don’t have to be boring with your tape and displaying pictures! Here’s some suggestions of creative ways to display art with no nails.

Make a Chore Schedule

I know that for my roommates and I, this has helped decrease some of the stress that can happen when living with new people. Instead of letting passive feelings build up, having a chart can help organize the jobs so they’re more manageable. Plus, if you make cute chore charts like these, they can count as decorations on your fridge.

String Lights Everywhere

One of the cheapest and most classic options for college lighting are string lights. They’re great because they’re super easy to hang up with command strips and they can really dress up a big plain wall. My roommate even has them along the bottom of her loft bed and I love how it looks when she turns them on. Here’s some other fun inspirational pictures to give you ideas!

Get Creative with Storage

With every South O apartment, there are struggles with storage. So, one of my biggest tips is to use whatever furniture you have to its full potential. If it’s a random dresser you got for free from your parents’ basement or a cheap dresser you found at Goodwill, it has a use. I’d also recommend getting a large shelf like the first picture for your kitchen so that everyone’s food doesn’t get mixed up, especially if you don’t have a lot of cabinet space.

I hope these tips helped you get ready for your first apartment! But most importantly, get excited to have your own to space to decorate and make special! And be pumped to eat much less market food! It’s a great thing, trust me.

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12            

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing.