There’s More to The Milk Shake Factory Than Just Milkshakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For those of you who are both familiar and unfamiliar with The Milk Shake Factory, you could guess that they specialize in one thing: milkshakes. However, when I made my first trek to South Side to experience the infamous Milk Shake Factory, my experience was much different than what I thought it would be.

When you walk in to the store, you are greeted with an overwhelming array of chocolate covered everything, such as Oreos (in both milk and dark chocolate form), as well as Mary Poppins playing on the TV above. I could eat chocolate covered anything like it’s my job, so it took all of my willpower to walk past the never-ending chocolate heaven and into the line for ice cream. #Blessed that when my friend and I got there, the line was not too long. Though we had just eaten basically everything on the menu at Plum, a pan-Asian kitchen in Shady Side (I 100% recommend everyone to go there), we still had to satisfy our sweet tooth.

After my indecisive self examined the decently sized menu for about five minutes, I made a decision that might be of surprise: I opted to make my own sundae. Something about the option of three scoops of ice cream with hot fudge, caramel sauce, and whipped cream was just making me feel some type of way.

So, the final outcome was (drum roll please): three scoops of apple pie ice cream layered with caramel sauce, hot fudge, and topped with a heaping amount of whipped cream. Each scoop of ice cream was broken up by the two sauces, so you never had to worry about not getting enough of one in each bite (that was my biggest concern at the time). The apple pie ice cream even had pie crust pieces in it, which made the whole thing even better. I kid you not, I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time I was eating it.

Photo credit: Taken by the author

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt