This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

In the dazzling world of Hollywood, no evening is more significant than the Academy Awards. Each year, the nomination list features some of the past year’s greatest movies. Yet, it’s worth noting that many all-time great films received no Oscar nominations. Notable examples include The Shining, The Big Lebowski and Heat, which all missed their chance at the golden statuette. Given the outstanding quality of films in 2023, it’s understandable that some excellent movies were left out of the Oscar nominations, but their exclusions are nonetheless disappointing.

Priscilla

After 2022’s Elvis swept Oscar nominations, it seems the Academy has had its fill of the Presleys. The latest Presley-themed film, Priscilla, explores the rise of Elvis’s relationship with his young wife, Priscilla, from her perspective. It highlights the toxicity and manipulation at the heart of their romance. Directed by Sofia Coppola, Priscilla is a brilliant, subtle film that weaves in her signature themes of identity and isolation. Cailee Spaeny, in the titular role, masterfully captures Priscilla’s youth, innocence and eventual growth in leaving Elvis.

In a perfect world, Priscilla would have been a top contender for Hair and Makeup and Best Actress. Spaeny’s portrayal is so convincing that it’s hard to believe she isn’t Priscilla Presley incarnate. The film’s makeup and hair are crucial, evolving Priscilla from her youthful attire and makeup to her iconic winged liner and teased black hair. However, it appears that an Elvis overdose may have affected the Academy, leaving Priscilla without nominations at Oscar time.

The Iron Claw

The Iron Claw was my biggest surprise hit of 2023. The film details the four sons of the Von Erich family, once hailed as one of the strongest wrestling dynasties, and the tragedy that eventually befell each member as their quest for success goes awry. Although I’m not typically drawn to sports movies, The Iron Claw transcends its genre. It’s beautifully written and crafted, and elevated by spectacular performances – namely by Zac Efron, who’s almost unrecognizable as Kevin Von Erich, the only surviving son of the family.

The film’s biggest obstacle to Oscar success was its late release date. While December releases were once the norm for Oscar hopefuls, this year’s nominations were dominated by films released in October or earlier. Had The Iron Claw been released sooner, I’m confident it would have been a strong contender for at least a Best Actor nod for Efron, along with potential technical accolades.

Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret.

The 1970 Judy Blume novel, Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret., is one that I first read in third or fourth grade. I fell in love with it. Its film adaptation, starring Abby Ryder Fortson in the titular role, was one of my most anticipated movies of the year, and it didn’t disappoint. The movie depicts 11-year-old Margaret who moves from her home in the city to the suburbs, and struggles with her faith and early-adolescent issues like menstruation and talking to boys. She fights with her family, makes friends, loses friends, experiments with going to church and ends sixth grade more confident in herself than she was when she began.

I was particularly hopeful for a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Rachel McAdams in her role as Margaret’s mother, Barbara. While not a typical Oscar-style performance, McAdams is undoubtedly the highlight of the film. She perfectly encapsulates every nuance of her character, from her struggles to fit in with the other suburban moms to her grappling with the ostracization she’s faced from her uber-Christian parents since her marriage to a Jewish man. I would have loved to see an Adapted Screenplay nod as well, but McAdams is by far one of my biggest disappointments this year.

Asteroid City

Wes Anderson has never been a favorite of the Academy, with his movies typically receiving few nominations. However, I was hopeful that his latest film, Asteroid City, would mark a new direction for him. Asteroid City tells the story of a father and his son who travel to a junior space cadet convention only to find themselves facing an alien invasion mid-conference. However, the entire film is actually a play that the characters are putting on, adding another meta level to it. It’s strange and confusing, but also quirky and heartwarming in a way that only Wes Anderson films pull off.

I was rooting for technical nominations for Asteroid City. Its production design was exceptional, and the cinematography was brilliant. The screenplay, delightfully written, deserved to be shown some love by the Academy this year. However, Asteroid City has joined the ranks of Wes Anderson films that haven’t quite captured the hearts of Academy members. On the bright side, Wes’s short film this year, The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar, did secure a spot in the Short Film category!

All Of Us Strangers

Saying I’ve saved the most disappointing snub for last is an understatement. All Of Us Strangers tells a devastatingly beautiful story. It follows Adam, a gay man in London, who returns to his childhood home. To his surprise, he finds his long-dead parents still residing there, unchanged in age from when they passed. Concurrently, Adam begins a relationship with his neighbor.

This film is not only one of the saddest I’ve ever seen – seriously, I started crying twenty minutes in and didn’t stop throughout its entire runtime – but it’s also brilliantly written and performed. Its complete shut-out at the Oscars is truly a head-scratcher.

All Of Us Strangers would have easily made it on my ballot had I been an Oscar voter. It’s a wonderful and profound film that leaves you simultaneously drained of emotion yet strangely hopeful. Andrew Scott, who portrays Adam, is one of the most baffling exclusions in the Best Actor category that I can think of. His performance is the heart of the film, bringing so much warmth and nuance to the character that elevates the movie in every way. 

Just as not every Oscar-nominated movie is brilliant, not every film that misses out is unworthy. Thousands of wonderful films are released yearly, and inevitably, some of the best don’t make the awards cut. But these films I’ve mentioned are ones I would have loved to see in the nominations. I’m hopeful they’ll be remembered as classics that the Academy overlooked.

Sienna is a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh. When it comes to writing, she likes to tackle topics like movies, television, music, celebrities, and any other pop culture goings-on. Sienna is a biological sciences and sociology double major at Pitt with a goal of attaining a certificate in Conceptual Foundations of Medicine. In addition to being a writer at Her Campus, Sienna is in the Frederick Honors College and is a member of Women in Healthcare, Pitt Democrats, and Bookmarked. After her undergraduate education, Sienna hopes to go to medical school and become a cardiothoracic surgeon. When she's not reading or studying, Sienna loves crossing films off her watchlist, reading new books, and trying a latte from every coffee shop in Oakland.