Wellness

Self-Love Practices to Turn into your New Valentine’s Day Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For all us single girls, Valentine’s Day can be a day where we all just want to curl up under a blanket, stuff our faces with chocolate and pretend the day doesn’t exist. This year, I am attempting to challenge the idea that Valentine’s Day is only for couples—because why does it have to be? Our self is the person we know the best and will spend our whole life with. So, this year, I will be celebrating the love I have for myself on Valentine’s Day, and I hope to repeat that every year! We are our own greatest love stories, and I think it’s so valuable to nurture and take care of ourselves. I’m here to give you tips to begin your self-love story! Here are my tips on some self-love practices you should integrate either into your daily life or to celebrate your singleness every year on Valentine’s Day.

Make cookies, a Valentine’s-themed cake or any other favorite dessert.

I’ve been seeing so many Galentine’s themed parties on TikTok this year, whether that be friend groups raiding the Valentine’s section of Target and writing valentines to each other or buying the seasonal home décor. I encourage you to make some Valentine’s themed treats this year. You can never go wrong with some sugar cookies you can decorate yourself or making a cake and decking it out with pink and red frosting. One of my favorite Valentine’s Day treats is drizzling popcorn with pink and purple white chocolate and sprinkling in Valentine’s Day M&M’s. You can even spread the love beyond yourself and share some with your friends and family this year to show your appreciation for them. 

valentines day gift
Photo by Karley Saagi from Pexels

Give yourself a spa moment.

Draw yourself a bath this Valentine’s Day—add some bubbles, a bath bomb, bath salts or whatever you want. Light yourself a candle, turn down the lights and watch a movie if you want to! When you get out of the bath, nurture your skin and take extra time in your skincare routine by trying a face mask or under-eye patches to treat your skin. While you’re waiting, try painting your nails a cute seasonal color or just relax and continue your movie. I recommend taking some time away from your phone during this time, so you can be with yourself and take a break from the hustle and bustle of social media.

person holding book in a bath
Photo by Taryn Elliott from Pexels

Buy yourself flowers.

Buying flowers always seems to be something we see as only others being able to do for us and specifically in a romantic relationship. I remember when I was in high school and I was brought flowers by a boy. I thought it was the peak of chivalry. It is a nice deed, but why shouldn’t we buy them ourselves and it could mean just as much? Buying flowers is great way to acknowledge the love you have for yourself—that you acknowledge you are worthy of receiving love and something beautiful. I think flowers are often something we just brush past in the grocery store, but if you really take time to treat yourself to something that reminds you of love, you are already one step closer to embracing who you are. So, I challenge you to give love back to yourself by getting some flowers this February 14th…and they’ll be such a beautiful reminder too!

flower vase bouquet
Leonardo Wong on Unsplash

Take yourself on a date.

This is one of the easiest ways to admire being with yourself but can also be one of the scariest. It would be scary to go eat alone in a restaurant – and maybe not the best idea with COVID-19 right now – but remember that taking yourself on a date is anything you want it to be. There are no rules to self-love. One of my favorite things to do at home is to drive and watch the sunset from my car. It gives you the opportunity to be just be with yourself. Listen to some music while you watch the sun set or just sit with your thoughts. Taking yourself on a date could also be going on a shopping spree (but don’t spend too much!!), going for a walk, having a picnic or doing anything you want that will bring you happiness. 

Woman at the beach at sunset
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pixabay

Do something that brings you joy.

This is probably the most important thing to do this Valentine’s Day. While this can be a challenging day in a challenging year, taking time to focus on yourself and something that fulfills you can really change your perspective and mindset. I encourage you to focus on your self-love journey this Valentine’s Day by pursuing your passions, and hopefully it’ll be something you can bring with you to every Valentine’s Day going forward.

Travel
Photo by Annie Spratt from Unsplash

Hi! My name is Delaney and I just recently joined Her Campus! I am so excited to publish articles on all things I am passionate about, which may include fashion, beauty, and lifestyle tips. Follow along for more!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt