This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I hate to remind everyone but sadly, midterm season is already upon us! If you’re anything like me, there is nothing worse than being stuck studying in a tiny dorm room. I have realized that the best way to get out of a midterm funk and stay motivated is to find yourself a fun study spot. Pitt is a great university with many study places around campus, but during midterm season, they can get extremely crowded. My spending problem has led me to many coffee shops around Pittsburgh to get a change of study scenery. I will undoubtedly be trying out many more places during my time at Pitt, but here are some of my favorites thus far (listed in no particular order)! 

1. De Fer Coffee & Tea

📍2002 Smallman St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Located in the Strip District, De Fer Coffee & Tea is my go-to if I have a lot of homework and need an energizing atmosphere. It’s a bit of a longer bus ride than some other coffee shops, but it’s worth it! The baristas are some of the friendliest that I’ve ever met, and there is plenty of seating with lots of natural light. The inside is colorful and cozy, and there is an array of drinks and food menu items to choose from.

Photo Credits: Sarah Weber (@thepittsburghweb on Instagram)

2. CommonPLace Coffee

📍5827 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217

I’ll be honest, a table can be hard to come by, but if you can snag one you won’t regret it! Commonplace has a few different Pittsburgh locations, including Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill, and Voluto. The Squirrel Hill location has incredible coffee and is located right next to a cute book shop. The trek through the Pittsburgh snow to get there was well worth it!

Photo Credits: Mikhaila Rice (@mikhailer on Instagram)

3. Delanie’s Coffee

📍1737 E Carson St, Pittsburgh, PA 15203

This South Side gem is a cute, two-level shop that I have recently fallen in love with. Not only is the coffee rich and creamy, but the environment is all you could ask for when you’ve got lots of work to get done. The food is incredible, and I could sit there relaxing for hours. The little nook upstairs is my favorite part. There, you’ll find a collection of books across the back wall, a few tables, and a big comfy couch!

Photo Credits: Stuff To Do In Pittsburgh (@stufftodoinpittsburgh on Instagram)

4. Inkwell Coffee Shop

📍4419 Butler St, Pittsburgh, PA 15201

Tucked in the heart of Lawrenceville, Inkwell is a charming little spot that surprised me! After finding no seating in a different Lawrenceville coffee shop, my friends and I settled in here and I am so glad we did! The art on display inside is beautiful and their lattes were amazing. I got so much homework done in the time that we stopped in, and the cozy atmosphere was perfect on a cold and rainy Pittsburgh day!

Photo Credits: Kayla (@pghcoffeegal on Instagram)

5. Cafetano Coffee Roasters

📍1601 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Cafetano is another one of my favorites from the Strip District. I could barely keep myself focused there (in a good way)! There were a ton of cool furniture, decorations, and people flooding in and out of the place. Everyone I met was so friendly, and they have a great menu full of delicious drinks and treats to choose from. I highly recommend going to this spot on the weekends with friends if you’re looking to study, or just catch up!

Photo Credits: Cafetano Coffee Roasters (@cafetanocoffeepgh on Instagram)

6. KLVN Coffee Lab

📍6600 Hamilton Ave Fl 1, Pittsburgh, PA 15206

KLVN is a unique coffee experience that can be found in Shadyside. The modern interior was so different from other coffee shops around the area, and their oat milk latte was incredible. The atmosphere gave me lots of motivation to power through my schoolwork. I will definitely be going again soon; I highly recommend it to everyone!

Photo Credits: KLVN Coffee Lab (@klvncoffeelab on Instagram)

Hopefully one of these will become your new favorite comfort study spot! With a good coffee in hand and energizing ambiance, maybe that full day of work you’re dreading getting around to won’t be so bad.

Julia is a sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media and Professional Communications with a minor in Gender, Sexuality, & Women's Studies. She loves to go thrifting, grab a coffee with friends, and go on walks with her dog!