Overnight Oats: Your Go-To Breakfast for Busy Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Tired of eating cereal each morning? Don’t feel like firing up the stove to make eggs or pancakes because 1) you have little time to spare and 2) your stove raises your apartment temperature by 10 degrees? Start your mornings with overnight oats!

Overnight oats provide you with the hearty nutritional breakfast that your body is craving when you wake up. This non-greasy breakfast gives you the boost of energy you need to get through your morning schedule. Plus, it’s quick and easy to make! When you need to take a short break from your late-night homework session, prep your overnight oats and pop them in the fridge. They’ll be ready to eat by morning, giving you time to catch some extra z’s! Here’s my go-to recipe that’s pretty simple, but tastes delicious. Keep in mind that it makes two servings.

Ingredients

1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats

1 cup of unsweetened almond milk

1 banana

1 tsp of chia seeds

1 tsp vanilla extract

Ground cinnamon

About the ingredients

I use unsweetened almond milk because it’s low in sugar and fat, which makes up for the sugars and carbs in the oats and banana. Feel free to substitute with any kind of milk. The banana gives the oats a thicker consistency and a refreshing flavor. The chia seeds are optional, but these little guys provide you with Omega 3, antioxidants and fiber. It’s important to use ground cinnamon instead of cinnamon sugar because you still get a great cinnamon taste without the extra sugar.

Directions

1. Grab a container that you’d like your oats to set in. You can use Tupperware or a Mason jar for fun.

2. Add the oats, milk, chia seeds and vanilla to the container.

3. Mash the banana with a spoon until the consistency is mushy, then add it to the container.

4. Shake in cinnamon.

5. Stir the ingredients together until evenly combined.

6. Place the container in the refrigerator. The oats need to stay in the fridge for at least five hours, and they can last up to five days in the fridge.

In the morning, give your oats a good stir and top with your favorite fruits, nuts, granola or chocolate chips. After mastering this recipe, check out cooking websites or Pinterest for different variations and flavors, like chocolate-peanut butter!

Erin is the President of HC Pitt. She is a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering, currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. Besides Her Campus, she is also involved in Pitt American Society of Civil Engineers. When Erin isn't studying, you can find her dancing, binging New Girl, jamming out to John Mayer or exploring the Burgh!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt