One Plant, Two Plant, Red Plant, Blue Plant: The Best Plants to Keep in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Recently I have developed a desire to own my own plant. If I can’t have a puppy in my dorm, I figure a plant is the next best thing. My roommate, however, is not a fan of the idea. She fears my forgetfulness will lead to our plant’s demise. Admittedly, I don’t have the best track record with gold fish. For those of you like me, I found a few plants that require minimal effort.

The Zee Zee plant

The Zee Zee plant, short for Zamioculcas zamiifolia, is said to “thrive on neglect.” The plant does not require much water or fertilizer. It can grow in low light, although its growth may decrease if it does not get enough light. But, for a college dorm room, a smaller plant may be preferable anyway. When Zee Zee starts to lose its leaves, it may look dead but is actually just dehydrated. A little water will quickly revive the plant, which has a long life span if taken care of properly.

The African Violet

The African Violet only needs to be watered once a week and prefers artificial light. That’s right. It would rather be bathed in the fake light hanging from your ceiling than actual sunlight. Aside from its easy maintenance, African Violets bloom in every season so you can add a pop of color to the snow-covered winter. Word of advice, don’t pour water on top of the plant; rather, put the pot in a bowl of water once a week as a source of hydration.

The Orchid

Orchids look deceivingly difficult to manage but actually require very little maintenance. Since the flowers cling to branches in their natural habitat, they are often sold wrapped around a branch, which will keep them stable and supported as they grow. Furthermore, the plant can stay in the same pot for up to a year and the buds stay open for two months at a time. Be careful to get the right kind though as some require more work than others. Look for Moth Orchids or Lady Slippers.

Succulents

The most famous succulent is the cactus, but there are so many other fabulous succulents that often get overlooked.  Aside from their cool texture and earthy appearance, succulents only require water once a year. Water them as soon as you move in, and then sit back and watch them grow. They don’t like the freezing cold temps of Pittsburgh though, so move them away from your windowsill when the temp starts to drop.

Want to make your succulent even more unique and adorable? Plant it in a cork! All you have to do is hollow out the cork with a pocketknife, fill it with soil, clip some of your succulent, and tuck it inside.

Bonsai Trees

These miniature plants require a little more tender, loving care, but their tranquilizing nature is worth the effort. You must water the mini tree once a week by submerging it in a bucket full of water. It is best to keep them as close to sunlight as possible. Bonsai trees accumulate a lot of dead branches so it is important to prune them regularly. Since you must prune so regularly, you can redesign your tree every so often. As an added bonus, studies have shown that pruning a bonsai is relaxing and meditative.

Lucky Bamboo

Bamboo is not only easy to care for, but it is also believed to bring happiness and prosperity to the homes it is grown in. To ensure your bamboo stalk stays happy, always keep the water level above the roots of the plant and don’t put it in direct sunlight. Lucky bamboo usually grows in pebbles so there’s no worry of spilling soil all over the room.

Even though these plants are easy to care for, the more love you show them, the prettier they’ll look for you.  My advice: treat your plants like pets—check on them every morning, make sure they get enough nutrients, and maybe even talk to them every once in a while; they’ll be sure to thrive.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt