This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Dear Little Sis,

I can’t believe that you’re already in high school. I don’t want to sound like Mom and say “You’re growing up so fast!” But it’s true; life simply passes by much too quickly. I know you probably feel like school is a never-ending hellscape at the moment, but trust me, graduation will come and it will feel like only a second has passed. Then you’ll be an “adult” and in college and wondering when exactly you grew up.

I remember being so terrified of going to high school. I thought it would be like on TV, with upperclassmen shoving freshmen into lockers and the super popular senior girl strutting down the hallway with her clique, giving disapproving looks to the fashionably-challenged. Of course, none of that actually happened. Yet I was just as terrified of going to college for the same reason. I quickly learned that I had nothing to be afraid of and that college is, in fact, a million times better than high school.

My high school experience was pretty crappy, though. I didn’t have many friends, especially towards the end, and by senior year I could only think about leaving. I don’t want you to waste these last four years you have to still be treated like a kid. You might hate it now, I know I did, but when you’re stressing over finding a job so that you can pay for tuition, the absolutely ridiculous price of college textbooks, and take care of your basic human necessities, while still trying to actually do well in your classes – believe me, you’ll be wishing you were a kid.

My biggest regret is wanting to grow up so fast. Please, sister, do not let this happen to you. I know high school sucks because people suck, and unfortunately it doesn’t get any better as you get older. Your friends now might not be your friends in five years. You probably aren’t going to marry the boy you like right now. But that doesn’t mean that you should just let these years pass by without a second glance. Make mistakes. Do something stupid. Take a leap of faith. As Rebekah said on The Vampire Diaries, “The first rule to truly living – do the thing you’re most afraid of.” The only way you can learn is to make your own experiences. Let these next four years guide you into becoming who you are meant to be. Make memories that you never want to forget and keep them close to your heart.

I’m sad to watch you grow up. I miss the days when you would run into my room in the middle of the night because you were scared. It was nice to know that you depended on me and would come to me in times of trouble. However, I am proud to be your big sister. I am happy as I watch you explore the depths of life, and I hope you know that I will always be here for you whenever there are monsters under the bed. Go out and have the high school experience I was too afraid to have myself. You’ll appreciate it in the long run.

Love Always,

Your Big Sis

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3

Sophomore at Pitt studying Communication Science and Disorders, with a leaning towards speech pathology. This is my first year with Her Campus, and I am excited to see what it will bring!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt