ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Let’s Talk About Acupuncture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Do midterms have you feeling drained? Are you suffering from fatigue, migraines, and stress? Does your body feel off? Acupuncture can be the healing remedy you need to reset for finals.

History

Acupuncture is an ancient healing practice that started in China. It has been used for centuries and people still swear by it as a remedy for multiple ailments. Acupuncture is the process of pricking certain pressure points to relieve pain, help digestion and help with other physical or mental illnesses.

You’re sticking those needles where?

I know at first it sounds crazy. These people get needles stuck in them all over to destress? Doesn’t that cause more stress? The answer isn’t simple. It really depends on the person. The first time I went to acupuncture, it was definitely a stressful concept. Some of the needles feel like a prick, while others you don’t feel at all. I’d say the weirdest thing of it all was laying there with all these needles sticking out of your toes, stomach or face. It doesn’t hurt at all. Honestly, the hardest part of it all was trying to not laugh because then the needles can fall out. You also can ask them to not do a certain area if you ever feel uncomfortable or ask them to take out needles if they don’t feel right.

Let’s Talk About the Needles

This needle is so thin and bendable that I would compare it to pine needle that has more accuracy for pin pointing a location. Don’t think of them as sewing needles used for splinters or the needle that gives you your vaccines. This needle is way friendlier. Most of them you won’t even feel going in. If you are nervous, tell your acupuncturist. They will help you get used to it. My first time I was kind of panicked, but my acupuncturist was great and talked me through the whole thing. The scary needles soon became my best friends that helped me through the stressful weeks.

It’s Not Just Needles

Acupuncture isn’t just the needles. These experts love to use all their tricks to destress you. When I went I also received heat treatment. They used these heat-like pens on certain points to help you destress. They also said it does wonders for scars.

Pick the Experience Your most comfortable:

I’ve heard of 2 types of acupuncture. The first option is like a spa. You come in and let them know of your concerns and they have specific pressure points that they will map out based on your desired outcomes. Then, they lead you into a private room where you get a heated bed, a towel and calming music.

The second type is a group acupuncture session. Here there are a bunch of recliners set up in a room and everyone gets a standard acupuncture session. Think of like getting a pedicure, but with acupuncture.

It’s Not for Everyone but Try It!

Everyone reacts differently to acupuncture, just like medicine. I suggest trying it out for at least 2 sessions before making a decision as to whether you continue or not. The first session could make you feel emotional and even more tired afterwards, but that can fade after going more than once. If it negatively affects you after your third session, then I would say your body isn’t responding well. Talk to your acupuncturist with any questions or concerns. They went to college for this and they know what’s up. Most people respond well and are rewarded with rejuvenating energy, less stress and more sleep.

Acupuncture at Pitt

The Student Health Center at the University of Pittsburgh offers acupuncture for only $35 for an hour-long session. It is performed by a licensed acupuncturist. Appointments are available Wednesday 9:00 a.m.- 5 p.m. and Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. To schedule an appointment, call 412-383-1800. Click here for more information.

Photo Credits: 1 2 3 4

University of Pittsburgh Class of 2020 Dual major in Communication and Public & Professional Writing
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt