Tampons
Tampons
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When I first started my period, I felt well informed about PMS and its many side effects. I understood that I’d probably get cramps, cravings, back pain and mood swings, but nobody prepared me for what ended up happening. For two weeks out of every month, my personality became unrecognizable. I experienced extreme paranoia that everyone in my life hated me, even though I had an incredible group of supportive friends. I almost got into car accidents from random crying spells and awful cramps I would have while driving on multiple occasions. I would flunk nearly every test I took during the week leading up to my period. Even though I saw numerous doctors regarding these issues, they would always dismiss it as normal PMS and give me some handout that they give to every teenage girl pushing them to eat healthier, exercise and use heating pads for cramps while menstruating. I never gave up on finding a solution, but it wasn’t until my doctor retired that I felt heard. My new doctor, who I instantly clicked with, diagnosed me with PMDD or Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. 

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) is basically a more severe version of PMS that often has symptoms that affect a person’s mood. Usually, PMDD symptoms will surface about 2 weeks before the onset of a period and will end once the period begins. PMDD only occurs in 3-8% of women, but it is oftenly misdiagnosed since the symptoms resemble normal PMS symptoms, just on a heightened scale. Symptoms you could experience on PMDD include mood swings, fatigue, paranoia, headaches, dizziness and more. 

If these symptoms sound like what you experience every month, it’s crucial to find a doctor that you feel listens to you and is willing to help you find a solution. My doctor gave me a few different options and clearly explained the pros and cons of each. It was merely a matter of finding a birth control method that worked for my body and eliminating caffeine the week leading up to my period before I felt like myself again during that time of the month. My symptoms became manageable, my relationships improved and I no longer felt like my period was a source of anxiety. Finding a doctor who will help may take some time; but in the end, always trust your gut. If you feel heard and respected by someone who takes the time to come up with multiple solutions, you’re in the right place. If not, never give up.