It’s Time to Shed Light On the Tanning Bed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s no secret to my friends that I don’t like tanning beds; my “never have I ever” is always that I have never been in a tanning bed. For this reason, my friends always keep it a secret from me when they go tanning. However, I never fail to notice the drastic difference in their skin tone or the uncharacteristic burn on their cheeks. According to skincancer.org, ultraviolet radiation is a proven human carcinogen. Cigarettes are proven carcinogens, yet most of the people I speak to are turned off by cigarettes. Furthermore, an estimated 1,957 indoor tanners landed in US emergency rooms in 2012 after burning their skin or eyes, fainting, or suffering other injuries. When I was eight and snooping through my Grandma’s house, I found my dad’s old tanning bed goggles (I’m not lying I swear). Though he would be horrified that I just told you all this, his early-on tanning habits led to his behavior in the sun today, which is not safe. There are ways beyond the tanning bed to ensure that you get a model-worthy summer glow, regardless if it’s in the sun or not.

Spray Tan:

If trips to the tanning salon are your thing, see if your spot offers spray tans. These can last anywhere from one to two weeks and make you look like you just walked off of the closest beach. What better way to fool people than with a spray tan? There is no risk involved, and if done right, a spray tan can look more natural than a tan in a tanning bed. Plus, you won’t have to stress over possibly getting burnt.

Sunless Tanning Lotions:

Popular drugstore brands such as Jergens offer self-tanner, which is lotion applied all over the body daily to create a subtle and gradual glow. The lotions also come in different “shades,” such as light to medium or medium to dark to make it easier to find the right glow for you. These lotions are made by various brands at different price ranges, so you’re sure to find your match.

Tanning Wipes:

Sephora, the homeland of all things beauty, carries a brand called TanTowel that makes self-tanning wipes for both the face and body. The description ensures no streaking and an even, natural tan… what else could you possibly want? A box of five full body wipes are about $27, but to ensure the glow you’re aiming for, they’re for sure worth the money!

Bronzed Beauty:

A trick my friends and I utilize constantly is the art of bronzer. Most people are unaware of the uses of bronzer, such as contouring your cheekbones, or even emphasizing your collarbones and chest. What I find useful to obtain a bronzed glow is to use a solid, mudded brown-toned (not orange) bronzer on my face applied with a dense brush, focusing on my cheekbones and my temples. Be sure to blend in the makeup to your chin and upper neck so there is no unevenness or lines! Opt for a bigger, palette-sized, shimmery bronzer for your chest and a fluffy brush to apply it with. This is a fun way to incorporate glow and even a little sparkle into your look.

The Oldest Trick in the Book – Sunscreen:

I’m not sure who’s worse about being insistent on sunscreen: me or my mom. Whether it’s to family or friends, we are the ones constantly nagging about sunscreen (like mother like daughter, I guess). It frustrates me to no end that my friends reach for tanning oil with SPF 2, aka basically no protection from the sun, when they hit the beach. Opt instead for SPF 30-35 sunscreen to ensure protection and be sure to apply regularly. Personally, I would rather have a real sun-kissed, non-burnt glow than the fakeness of a tanning bed. If you can’t live without your tanning bed, then may the odds be ever in your favor.

Sources: 1

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt