photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

A Guide to Pittsburgh’s Smaller Music Venues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you chose Pitt because of its location. Pittsburgh is pretty much the perfect city because the people are so relaxed and friendly and the 90 different neighborhoods are full of opportunities for delicious food, exciting adventures, and endless entertainment.

Speaking of entertainment, we’re just about to get into prime concert season. New tours are being announced daily, and I couldn’t be more excited to book my spring calendar full of shows. Of course, almost everyone knows about the bigger Pittsburgh venues (see part one of my guide here) and the big national tours that make their homes there, BUT have you explored some of the smaller venues in the various PGH neighborhoods? The Pittsburgh music scene has been thriving lately, and you don’t want to miss the chance to support your local artists. Though there are plenty of venues to choose from, to help you get started, here’s a non-exclusive list of some of my favorites, broken down by location.  

SOUTHSIDE                                                      

Club Café

Unfortunately all of their shows are 21+, but once you’re old enough, definitely check out this space for some of the smaller touring acts making waves in the music industry both nationally and locally. I’m most looking forward to seeing Laura Stevenson in April.

The Smiling Moose

A bar downstairs and a venue upstairs – what more could you want from your music venue? Check out a show and then hang out downstairs for one of their DJ nights (my favorite is Pop Punk Night).

Rex Theater

The Rex opened originally in 1905 as a Vaudeville theater but is now a staple in Pittsburgh’s list of venue spaces. Shows rotate between touring acts and local bands. Get to your shows early and check out the openers! You might just find your new favorite artist.

LAWRENCEVILLE

Cattivo

Advertised as having an “atmosphere that is inclusive, friendly and diverse,” Cattivo has been in Lawrenceville for over 20 years now. Their calendar features a mix of shows and themed nights. Plus, Cattivo is known as one of the best LGBT nightclubs in Pittsburgh! You just might find me at Drake night this weekend.

Spirit

Spirit is comprised of 3 entities: Slice Island (a pizzeria), Spirit Lodge (downstairs bar with a stage) and Spirit Hall (upstairs event hall). Located in Upper Lawrenceville, it more than meets the hipster standard set by its locale. The menu and beer lists focus on locally sourced ingredients and brews. The shows in the upstairs hall feature local acts as well as up-and-coming touring acts. I’m most looking forward to Broken World Fest 2 in April.

City Grows

City Grows is a bit of a wildcard venue in this list. A garden shop by day and a basement venue by night, this venue adds another DIY element to this guide. They just launched the website dedicated to their shows so make sure to keep checking their calendar as shows get added. You can catch fellow Pitt students Ferdinand the Bull here in March.

MILLVALE

Mr. Smalls Funhouse

Mr. Smalls Theatre was featured in part one of my guide to Pittsburgh’s venues, but the Funhouse is the newest feature of the Mr. Smalls facility. Located upstairs in the facility are two additional stages around the Funhouse restaurant soon to be open for stand-alone shows after shows in the main theatre. For now, head upstairs for the post-show after party to catch some more music and have a few more drinks.

BLOOMFIELD

Brillobox

Brillobox describes their space as a place for “drinks, food, music, art and special events in Pittsburgh.” Head here for a show or just for dinner and be mesmerized by the eclectic décor adorning the walls and ceilings.

Mr. Roboto Project

A DIY space that’s been around since 1999 (first located in Wilkinsburg) that hosts pretty much anything. An art gallery up front and a venue in the back, Roboto emphasizes the ideals of DIY music and safe spaces. I’m most looking forward to Frankie Cosmos and Eskimeaux in April.

ALLENTOWN

Black Forge Coffee House

Coffee shops all around Pittsburgh make for great occasional venues, but I’ve heard the best reviews about this one specifically. Although I haven’t been there yet myself, Black Forge promises great drinks, great food, and an even better environment. Part art gallery, part coffee house, and part venue space, Black Forge is host to not only morning caffeine-goers but also podcast hosts and local Pittsburgh bands.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt