A Guide to Pittsburgh’s Music Venues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

One of the best parts about going to school in a city is all of the opportunities for entertainment. There are always sports games, art exhibits or concerts to go to when you get that urge to leave campus and do something fun. My favorite activity is going to concerts, so I’ve gotten the chance to test out some of Pittsburgh’s coolest music venues. Here’s a guide to the top five venues that you can even get to via Port Authority:

Altar Bar: Altar Bar is my favorite venue. It’s located in the Strip District on Penn Avenue and was once a church; but since has been renovated into a cool place to go to shows. Its capacity is only 650 people but it is an ideal spot for smaller scale tours. Types of shows vary from local bands to more well-known acts. Because of its size the atmosphere is really great, made best by the remnants of the church like the stained glass windows that flank the stage. Inside there are two bars- one downstairs which doesn’t provide alcohol during shows for all ages, and one upstairs which requires a 21+ wristband to get to. Overall, the layout is nice because everyone in the crowd is pretty close to the stage and there isn’t really a bad spot in the room to watch from. Artists who have played here recently include: Walk the Moon, Imagine Dragons and Hoodie Allen.

Stage AE: Located on the North Shore right next to Heinz Field, Stage AE stands as my second favorite venue in Pittsburgh. You’ve probably passed it on your way to a Pitt football game or even ventured inside for their free tailgate options; but you should really check it out when the next band comes to town. It functions as two different venues: an outside stage, pit and lawn for larger crowds in warmer temperatures, and an indoor club stage. Inside there are balcony VIP boxes which are available for most shows; and while I’ve never sat in one, I imagine they’re great for those who don’t like to deal with crowds but want to enjoy a show. The floor can feel pretty packed inside, but outside there’s a lot of room to move around and dance. The outdoor stage has seen the likes of A Day to Remember and All Time Low while the inside club stage has recently featured Bassnectar, Ed Sheeran and Passion Pit. 

Mr. Small’s Funhouse: Mr. Small’s is in Millvale, so it’s not as convenient to get to as the rest of the places on this list; however, it is still accessible by Port Authority. Mr. Small’s is another converted church with a large front porch and a beautiful orange brick exterior. Inside, the place looks super swanky and you can even get a real meal at the bar! They serve not only small bites like the rest of the venues, but also wraps and flatbreads (plus if you keep the cup your beverage comes in, you can usually get free refills all night). The biggest downside to this venue is that the sound quality isn’t great. The ceilings are very high and somehow the conversion to a music venue wasn’t done as well as an audience would hope. Vocals get slightly drowned out by the instruments and there is always a constant noticeable static coming through the speakers. Still, the environment is an enjoyable one for shows. Mr. Small’s has hosted artists such as Lights and The Neighbourhood. 

Consol Energy Center: Consol is the place to be for large-scale arena tours. Here is where you see the big acts who are able to fill a 15,000-20,000 person capacity. With so many people at these types of shows, the atmosphere is always exciting and full of energy. One of Consol’s advantages is that there are multiple entrances so the lines waiting to get in don’t get too long, and you can get to your seat easily. It boasts all the benefits of a hockey arena (since it’s where the Penguins play).  Consol also has multiple parking lots if you drive, but none of them are easy to get out of at the end of the event when everyone else is trying to leave at the same time. Arena tours that have passed through Consol in the last year include One Direction and Green Day.

University of Pittsburgh: Pitt’s campus is obviously the most convenient location for shows, and they’re always good shows too! The Pitt Program Council puts on awesome events such as Fall Fest each autumn and Bigelow Bash in the spring right on Bigelow Boulevard. They’re free for undergrads (but since they’re outside you can bring your friends too)! This year’s Fall Fest featured OneRepublic. The Pitt Program Council hosts a battle of the bands to give student bands the opportunity to open at these events. In addition, the Petersen Events Center on campus occasionally hits the 9,000 person capacity for big-name artists to perform like Selena Gomez.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt