stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eating Healthy on Forbes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Eating healthy while in school can be difficult, especially with all the delicious choices such as Dunkin Donuts and Dave and Andy’s. I’ve decided to make a handy guide to Forbes Avenue restaurants and their healthiest options that could help keep the winter pounds off, and get you in Spring Break shape!

Razzy Fresh: It’s frozen yogurt, which is better than ice cream, but not the best. Still, there are low-fat frozen yogurt options and fresh fruit to top off your treat with! Each half-cup is around 120 calories.

Fuel & Fuddle: Salads may not be your first thought when you hear “Fuel and Fuddle,” but that is a choice! Remember to lay off the dressing. Adding dressing to your salad includes many unneeded calories, and at that point you may as well have just ordered the wings you wanted!

Subway: Jared! Remember him and all the weight he lost just eating subway? Well here are some eat-this-not-that options:

Breads:

Eat: 6” 9-Grain Wheat Bread (210 calories). Don’t eat: 6” Honey Oat Bread (260 calories).

Meats:

Eat: Turkey Breast (50 calories) or Ham (60 calories). Don’t eat: Roast Beef (90 calories).

Condiments:

Eat: Yellow or brown deli mustard (5 calories). Don’t eat: Fat free sweet onion sauce (40 calories).

As always, add as many veggies you would like! The more veggies the better. Also, when it comes to your sides, choose baked Lays, apple slices or yogurt.

McDonald’s: Most “meals” are 1200 calories—an entire day’s worth—but if you are looking for a better option, go for a regular sized burger or cheeseburger. Snack Size fruit and walnut salad, fruit and yogurt parfait, apple dippers or a side salad with Newman’s Balsamic vinaigrette are all healthier snack options. Always pick grilled chicken over breaded for sandwiches, snack wraps, and salads. Finally, keep away from mayonnaise; it adds loads of calories and fat.

Chipotle: Some of the best meals at Chipotle are burrito bowls with steak or chicken, brown rice, fajita vegetables, guacamole, and green tomatillo salsa. As far as salads go- lettuce, chicken or steak, black beans, fajita vegetables and chipotle-honey vinaigrette are your best options!

Primanti Brothers: Seriously? Just order a diet coke or water if you are trying to be healthy here.

Noodles & Company: Noodles is actually very organized when it comes to their websites and menus. Check out their healthier options here

Red Oak Café: This place is quite the opposite of Primanti’s. I mean their slogan is even “Fast, fresh and healthy.” Pretty much with every meal, there is a healthier option than others, so live it up!

Panera Bread: You know those sneaky menus that are super healthy and awesome? Panera has one and it includes a Power Breakfast Egg White Bowl with Roasted Turkey (190 calories), Power Steak Lettuce Wraps (280 calories), Power Mediterranean Roasted Turkey Salad (320 calories) and Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad (360 calories). If you are brave enough, order from this super secret healthy menu!

Pamela’s: Skip the pancakes this visit and hit up the eggs! Egg whites are available to make a yummy spinach and feta omelet. As a side you can get the wheat toast (but without the butter) or a side of fruit. If you need some protein, turkey bacon and sausage are also available.

The “O”: Once again, seriously? Just stay away if you trying to knock a few pounds off.

Quaker Steak and Lube: We may go for the wings, but there are healthier options (really I promise!). Check them out here

Hello Bistro: The fact that you can make your own salad just makes this place the perfect healthy meal go to. Skip the dressing and bread to make it even healthier. The best thing about these salads is that they last for a couple of days! Saving money and eating healthy – yes please!

Bruegger’s: Did you know there is such a thing as a “skinny” bagel?! I didn’t know this until I did my research. A skinny whole-wheat bagel with any light cream cheese is better than the original bagel and cream cheese combo. The healthiest option for their sandwiches is the Thai peanut chicken sandwich.

Healthier options are always available. Sometimes as college students, we really don’t want to look or ask for them. So don’t be afraid- spend the extra dollar and feel great about yourself while studying!

Photo Credit

I have been a proud Her Campus writer since my freshman year at Pitt and I am now the Social Media Editor for the chapter. So excited to see where the chapter will go but sadly I am a senior graduating in 2015 with a Communication and Art History major and Film Studies minor.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt