Cleansing Oil: What you need to know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So, I don’t know if you’ve heard about these trendy cleansing oils, but I certainly have and I wanted to find out what all the hype was about. Cleansing oil is exactly what it sounds like: it is oil that is a substitute for regular facial cleanser. Why would you slather oil all over your face to get it clean you may ask? Well, I’ll tell you.

Cleansing Oil is oil that you work into DRY skin to cleanse instead of or before using a traditional cleanser. It breaks apart and removes even the toughest of waterproof mascaras and cleanses the skin.

BENEFITS

1. It WON’T strip skin of its natural oils or disturb the pH balance.

Normal cleansers can strip skin of natural oils which intern makes your skin produce more oil. Cleansing oil dissolves impurities on and within the skin and then washes away as you rinse. This leaves your skin nourished, clean and not stripped of the stuff it needs.

2. They are filled with antioxidants.

These cleansing oils not only clean, but they also restore. They can improve the skins texture and radiance long after you’ve finished cleansing, and the nutrients within them work their magic.

3. Cleansing Oil is for all skin types

I know if you have oily skin, heck even if you have dry skin, you’re probably skeptical. Along with the impurities the oil rids your skin of, it also gets rids of excess sebum. When a regular cleanser cleans your face it often times makes your face produce MORE oil afterwards because it has nothing left and has to overcompensate. Cleansing oil will leave your pores clean and not overly cleansed.

FINAL THOUGHTS

After using cleansing oil both morning and night since October, I have found myself completely addicted. I’m not joking when I say using cleansing oil gets me out of bed some mornings knowing the first thing I’m going to do is give my skin some nourishment and loveee. A typical cleanser doesn’t allow you to give your skin the little massage and wake up it really needs and that a cleansing oil allows for. It also leaves my skin feeling like SILK and not at all oily.

I am quite the advocate for cleansing oil now if you can’t tell. However, if I wear a lot of makeup that day or night I tend to use an additional cleanser afterwards to ensure my skin is squeaky clean. Double cleansing is a centuries-old Japanese skincare trick that, when properly moisturized afterwards, is extremely purifying and beneficial for the skin.

Image Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt