This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The use of CBD for several medical ailments is rising, and by now you’ve probably seen it everywhere from the pet store to the farmer’s market. Maybe you’ve even heard about some of its benefits, including its positive effects on sleep, anxiety, depression, pain and seizures. However, as someone who has experimented with CBD for my anxiety, I want to focus on how CBD improves mental health. If you’re struggling with anxiety, I’m here to provide all the facts about how CBD can help you be your best self.

What is CBD?

Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the active ingredients in cannabis, and it’s an important factor in medical marijuana. However, the CBD we see sold at countless locations is derived from the hemp plant, which is a different classification of cannabis. According to Harvard, hemp contains less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the legal amount and does not get the user “high.” Before your parents freak out, let them know that the 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp federally, CBD is not addictive and it does not show up on a drug test. In fact, various studies have shown that CBD is a treatment for children with seizures, and it can help you as well.

How does CBD help anxiety?

According to Leafly, CBD can boost serotonin levels, which lowers anxiety and heightens mood. It can also help the hippocampus regenerate neurons. The science behind all this shows that CBD reduces stress and helps with sleep, pain and inflammation. If you are feeling anxious about classes, work or any other part of your daily life, you might want to look into CBD.

What forms of CBD are available?

Capsules

CBD in pill form is a good way to start, although it takes longer for the stomach to digest before it kicks in.

Photo by unknown via Honest CBD

Oil

If you’re not a pill person, this might be the right option for you. CBD is extracted from the hemp plant and mixed with a carrier oil, and the tinctures usually come in a dropper bottle for simple use. Check the recommended dosage and hold the oil under your tongue for 1-2 minutes.

Photo by unknown via Green Entrepreneur

Creams

CBD is also available in topical form, which is particularly useful for pain. Creams and lotions allow the user to put the CBD on a targeted area for more effective relief.

How do I find what works for me?

Try starting out with a low-dosage tincture to see how it impacts your anxiety. Make sure you find a reliable brand! CBD may be cheaper at a smoke shop, but it is not of the best quality. Check out these brands if you want to try CBD:

Mana Artisan Botanics

Lazarus Naturals

Charlotte’s Web

National Alliance on Mental Illness Hotline: 1-800-950-6264

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Keri is a freshman at Pitt majoring in pre-pharmacy. Other than Her Campus, Keri is also a member of CHAARG. When she is not writing, Keri likes to hang out with dogs, listen to all kinds of music, read, workout, drink coffee, and do yoga.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt