Bystander Intervention and Why it Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When we crowded into the auditorium for yet another freshman orientation event, we all went in with no intentions of listening to what would be said. When we talked about bystander intervention, I filed it away under “Things that make sense but I probably won’t ever need.” Bystander intervention is the concept that if you see someone in a dangerous situation, you act to help them. It’s often talked about with regards to sexual assault, but these were not the conditions under which I found myself acting.

What situations require bystander intervention?

It can be hard to decide when it is the appropriate time to act. Many people are afraid to overreact to a situation or to become involved in something which they have no right to be. When it comes to things like sexual assault or alcohol poisoning, waiting to act can have devastating consequences. If someone doesn’t appear to be in control of their body, for example, if they cannot walk unassisted or hold their head up, this is usually a sign that something isn’t quite right with the situation. The decision to intervene should be made if someone looks or sounds like they are not able to make decisions for themselves, or in cases where someone maybe suffering from alcohol poisoning.

What are the signs of alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning occurs when someone consumes too much alcohol in a relatively short amount of time. These amounts will vary from person to person. Although we typically tell people to just “sleep it off,” alcohol poisoning can be deadly. If someone is confused, vomiting, sweating profusely or unconscious, they may have alcohol poisoning. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning, you should seek medical attention for them immediately. For a more detailed overview, please view this fact sheet by The Mayo Clinic. Many times, other people may not want to call 911 to report alcohol poisoning because they are afraid they will get in trouble for underage drinking. In Pennsylvania, as well as many other states, this is not true. As long as you call 911, and wait for authorities to arrive, you will not face disciplinary action under The Good Samaritan Act. You should check with your university to learn about their policies.

What is sexual assault?

Sexual assault refers to “any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient,” according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Many universities are working to reduce occurrences of sexual assault on campus, as currently we estimate that one out of five women and one out of 16 men will be sexually assaulted in college. A person who is intoxicated not able to give consent. If you observe someone is a potentially compromising situation, you may be able to stop sexual assault by casually inserting yourself into the conversation or finding a way to remove the compromised person from the situation. It may mean that the other person becomes frustrated with you or escalates, but the lifelong effects of being a sexual assault victim are incredibly damaging. By intervening, you may save a person from dealing with those consequences for a lifetime.

Why is Bystander Intervention so important?

Often times, a bystander has to intervene on behalf of a person who may not be able to stand up for themselves. It is easy to blame people for getting drunk or doing drugs and making poor decisions, but it is much harder for us to stand up and interfere in potentially dangerous situations. People will often witness a scenario and think that with so many people around that someone else will intervene. If everyone shares this thought process, no one will intervene and the situation will escalate. We, as people, have an obligation to help others who cannot help themselves. We must learn to stand up and act on behalf of others, and we must be ready to act.

Pictures: 1, 2

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt