This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

While Black Friday Shopping, I stumbled upon these shirts in the fitness clothing section at Charlotte Russe. I’ve noticed a lot of clothing stores have been targeting fitness clothes and placing phrases I’m not pleased with on them. These are just a few examples I snapped some pictures of.

Ladies, don’t let someone tell you that you can just “run the crazy off.” Mental illness cannot be solved by physical activity, although some doctors think it can. Some mental illnesses cause you to have no energy and motivation to do the smallest activities and that’s okay! Do what feels good for you. Don’t let a shirt tell you to earn your shower. Shower to feel clean, shower to feel good. Don’t tell yourself you’re not allowed to shower because you haven’t worked out enough to deserve one. And lastly, depresso is not a term for being out of coffee, nor is it a cute nickname for those suffering from depression. 

If these things are considered okay, what’s stopping clothing companies from joking about other serious matters? Instead of messages likes these, I would love to see body positive or self-love phrases, not these ones that are trying to seem cute or quirky.

Photo Credits: provided by the author 

Madison is a Sophomore at the University of Pittsburgh and is majoring in Psychology. She enjoys drawing, music, pugs, and fro-yo.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt